editing mod/quiz/format/custom.php

editing mod/quiz/format/custom.php

John Taylor Johnston -
Number of replies: 18
Anything new in the help file yet? Noting in mine.
Does this mean I could easily import WebCT quizzes this way, with a bit of coding?
Where can i read up on this please?
John

Custom

If you have your own format that you need to import, you can implement it yourself by editing
    mod/quiz/format/custom.php

The amount of new code needed is quite small - just enough to parse a single question from given text.

More info about the "Custom" format
Վարկանիշների միջին թիվը. -
In reply to John Taylor Johnston

Is there a Moodle quiz format I can convince the Hot Potatoes crowd to export to?

John Taylor Johnston -
Martin,
Just in case I cannot pull this off, although I'm getting help to work on importing WebCTquiz format ...
Is there a Moodle quiz format I can convince the Hot Potatoes crowd to export to?

Re: Is there a Moodle quiz format I can convince the Hot Potatoes crowd to export to?

David Delgado -
I do not know much about Hot Potatoes, but Moodle can import questions from Blackboard quizzes. So, you can import WebCT quizzes into Hot Potatoes and export them to Blackboard. Then, you can import them into Moodle.

You can do all this stuff with Responduz as well:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1921
In reply to David Delgado

Re: Is there a Moodle quiz format I can convince the Hot Potatoes crowd to export to?

Ger Tielemans -
Strategie of HP is to offer a self-supporting commercial system:

".....Please note that this is ONLY a key for Hot Potatoes. If you want a key for the Masher program, you will have to purchase a commercial licence for Hot Potatoes. If you want www.hotpotatoes.net to host your exercises, you will need to sign up and pay for an account on hotpotatoes.net..."

Masher is the tool to "adapt the buttons at your local situation" instead of the code-hacking you have to do now to fit it as a blackbox in your Moodle..

Another point is that HP is more then just m.c.
For example the scrambled sentences will never fit in the current moodle test-formats, so if we only could parse varibales.. (using HP as one of the external resource-editors.)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

John Taylor Johnston -

>you can import WebCT quizzes into Hot Potatoes and export them to Blackboard.
>Then, you can import them into Moodle.

I have a WebCT account, not a blackboard account.

Ger,

I agree HP has gone down the slippery slope of a self-supporting commercial system / venture. HP can, however, export to 4 WebCT formats.

If Moodle had its own format, being a long-time member of the HP beta-tester squad, I could unleash enough pressure on Martin Holmes to get him to at least think about adding an export to Moodle format, in addition to WebCT.

We need our won, stable quiz format to do so. The Moodle community is growing. What are the number of downloads? Too bad this is not on SourceForge.

JBC, JCloze,  JQuiz and JMatch are the ones HP supports to export to WebCT.

I'm working on something for a WebCT import. We'll see how well that goes. I especially want to improve on the WebCT HTML and, maybe something just as good as hotpotatoes.net? ժպտում եմ

John

David Delgado -
There is an standard for quizzes in e-learning: IMS Question and Test Interoperability (QTI):

http://www.imsglobal.org/question/index.cfm

All the e-learning platforms should be IMS QTI compliant (I know WebCT is). So, there is no need to create "our own" format, let's just use the standard. Hot Potatoes should be also IMS QTI compliant. In fact, it is scheduled for version 6.0, in December, 2003, to be so:

"Export to XML formats compliant with IMS e-learning specifications (if and when these become stable and practical)".

In reply to David Delgado

Martin: Re: Is there a Moodle quiz format I can convince the Hot Potatoes crowd to export to?

John Taylor Johnston -

IMS QTI is the way

Martin Dougiamas -
Core developers Նկարը Documentation writers Նկարը Moodle HQ Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը Testers Նկարը
I agree totally with what David wrote above. I've said in many posts that we must support IMS QTI. I will go further and say that this should be our primary format for import/export.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: IMS QTI is the way

Howard Miller -
Core developers Նկարը Documentation writers Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Peer reviewers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը
I think I've said it before, but I mean it this time ժպտում եմ I have done quite a bit of work with QTI in the past and am very willing to work or help with work on this project.

However is everybody familiar with the spec? For a start it comes in two flavours: "lite" and full strength. It is far from simple, in fact I would say it is excessively verbose and (more worryingly) open to interpretation.

It may well be a first step, to clearly specify what features we will (and will not) support and further specify our interpretation in terms of Moodle. Of course this needs to tie in with users who have material in QTI format exported by other applications that they need to support. Any information available from that angle would be very useful.

Off to get my breakfast and regret what I have just said! զարմանում եմ
In reply to Howard Miller

Martin Dougiamas -
Core developers Նկարը Documentation writers Նկարը Moodle HQ Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը Testers Նկարը
Thanks for the offer, Howard!  approve

My feeling is to start with the question types Moodle supports already and work backwards. Question types we don't support yet can just be ignored. ծիծաղում եմ Even just multiple choice and short answer will be enough for most applications.

Does this make sense? I'm not really familiar with the spec at all, having gotten as far as repeated viewings of the XML and exclamations of "this is a job for another time".

(I'll move this thread to the Quiz forum)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Howard Miller -
Core developers Նկարը Documentation writers Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Peer reviewers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը
OK....

I'll have a think in the next day or so, and see if I can rough something out.

I'm just thinking that we may be able to 'map' questions in some way that we do not "properly" support.

Does anybody have any example material in QTI form that they would like Moodle to import. Its always easier to work from the practical standpoint!

Ger Tielemans -
  • If you create and exchange m.c's inside the Moodle community, then Lite with a Moodle fill-in-front-end would be good enough: only the minimal set of fields..
    The Moodle context is self explaining for lots of the metdata-questions then...
  • When I want to export to other systems, then a XML-tree must be generated that fits the standard, something nice like the export for the dictioanry. During this process you must fill in some of the metadata by hand... not everything can be generated automatic
  • For import from other systems you need a mirror mechanism from the previous one and you have to decide if you implement QTI in full power surprise or translate it to the lighter Moodle structure, saving handling overhead? thoughtful

Are you thinking of implementing mouse over pictures interactions also...

Howard Miller -
Yes, it occurs to me that there is always XSLT. If we can put together *something* that works, even it if does not quite suit the format of Product X, its reasonable trvial to transform the XML. At least as a workaround, and its not something you would have to do every day.

I have to rattle out a report (on Moodle by the way) today, and I'll get a start on this tomorrow.

I just have to remember what "rubric" means now ժպտում եմ

Ger Tielemans -
Rubric?? never heard of wink, or do you mean a set of scales?

Howard Miller -
Its one of the element names in the QTI spec. I never was entirely sure what it meant! Gives you a clue what we are up against with the QTI - even the language is obscure sad

Ger Tielemans -

I think it means there a category (but of what?). I will look at the CETIS and DUTCH/SIX translations..

(In Moodle we had discussions about RUBRICS: sets of grading-scales you can find in the workshop for example.)

Bill White -
This is what Rubric means.

Rubrics are a scoring scale consisting of a set of criteria that describe what expectations are being assessed/evaluated and descriptions of levels of quality used to evaluate students work or to guide students to desired performance levels. Rubrics should:

be teacher or student and teacher created

be given prior to the task

be used often during teaching as an assessment tool

be a combination of quality and quantity of student learning

be fair to all students

indicate both what students learn and how well they learn

have clear indications of how students can improve

allow students the ability to assess their own work

be specific to the task they are being used to assess/evaluate

In reply to Bill White

Ger Tielemans -

I like your first one:

"be teacher or student and teacher created"

That's in the spirit of Moodle big grin

Would be nices if:

• Scales can be used for every Moodle task/activity
  • the scales could get a mechanism - like the dictionary now - where students can bring in suggestions for scales for the task they have to do
    (as a kind of orientation on that task)
  • that teachers approve/modify these tasks..
  • that teachers and students can look in the growing library of scales
  • that you can organise scales in categories/domains

Sounds like a modified dictionary..

P.S. If  your work ends up in a document, can you forward me a copy?

Ger Tielemans -

I overlooked this long-road-export-option, so HP becomes NOT that closed as I said. blush

I am especially interested in the import of JCloze, because Moodle has not such a friendly editor for creating fill-in-the-blanks-exercises. (Yet? wink ) 

Would even be nicer if you could convince them / help them to create an export format for the JMIX and the JCloze editors: Wished by our language teachers..

It must deliver a standalone HTML-page like they do now PLUS a connection option for minimal info exchange "the SCORM/AICC-way"

• starttime
  • stoptime
  • completed
  • score?

I think Martin will be willing to advise you.

People can then choose:

• use the friendly free version of HP and giving their exercises back to the HP community, before exprting them to Moodle
  • OR they can buy a HP license and keep their exercises in their own Moodle

I think it is a win-win situation