Reply to forum via email notification on Moodle 3.4

Reply to forum via email notification on Moodle 3.4

by Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi there,

We've been using the reply to forum via email notification feature in Moodle 2.9 and 3.1, and now I'm trying to understand how to make it work in newer versions since the changes made in Moodle 3.2 have affected on that functionality and it doesn't work any more (I'm testing it in Moodle 3.4.1).

Until Moodle 3.1, to make this work we had to check the "Always send email from the No reply address" option, and this option was replaced on Moodle 3.2 with the "Allowed email domains" option. Even if we add our trusted domains on that list and check that the emails are sent with the real sender address, the "You can reply to this forum post by email" text is not added to the emails any more and replying to the emails doesn't make that message to be posted in the forum (it's not send to the incoming mailbox, so the cron task doesn't have nothing to import).

I've reading the docs (both Mail Configuration and Reply to posts via email) and it seems to me that there is nothing else to be changed to make this work (having all the stuff needed for it in Moodle 3.1 in place), am I missing something else?

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai

Er: Reply to forum via email notification on Moodle 3.4

Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As it can be a bug I opened a issue in the tracker:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-61784

Re: Er: Reply to forum via email notification on Moodle 3.4

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Iñigo,
IMHO it is not a bug but you - or the update, and it would be a bug - missed to enable(/keep in case of the update) the Inbound Message system: Site administration > Server > Email > Incoming mail configuration > messageinbound_enabled; messageinbound_mailbox and messageinbound_domain should be set too.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

Er: Re: Er: Reply to forum via email notification on Moodle 3.4

Thanks for your answer, Matteo!

Those three configurations (messageinbound_enabled, messageinbound_mailbox and messageinbound_domain) are OK , in fact the inbound message system is working fine for uploading files to private area via email, that's another of the reasons that made me think it can be a bug in the forum reply via email function while trying this patch.

Anyway, can you confirm that this functionality is working properly in Moodle 3.4?

If that's the case the issue should be to update the docs and replace the "You must set Site administration > Plugins > Message outputs > Email to 'Always send email from the No reply address'; otherwise users will see the email of the forum poster instead." part with whatever has to be done now that option has been deprecated.

Re: Er: Re: Er: Reply to forum via email notification on Moodle 3.4

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Iñigo,

did you enable the 'Reply to forum posts' message handler, under Site Administration >> Server >> Email >> Message handlers?

I just tested this in a local instance of Moodle 3.4 (the one I used to create the XOAUTH2 patch), and I can confirm that it works for me. I didn

I also enabled the 'Email to private files' handler, and it also worked as expected.

I attach a couple of images with my outgoing & incoming email settings for the tests (I'm using the moodle server to send the email -hence localhost in the settings- as it has a working postfix SMTP server).

Saludos.

Iñaki.

Attachment Screenshot-2018-4-9 moodle-34 Administration Server Email Incoming mail configuration.png
Attachment Screenshot-2018-4-9 moodle-34 Administration Server Email Outgoing mail configuration.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

Er: Re: Er: Re: Er: Reply to forum via email notification on Moodle 3.4

Thanks Iñaki, seing your configuration I've realized which my error was: I wasn't leaving empty the allowedemaildomains setting. Once that setting has been emptied the functionality works as expected.

I've updated the docs of the 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 versions:

Thanks again!

Average of ratings: Useful (3)