Allowing separate (non visible to each other) groups to allow DIFFERING (selective) forum access

Allowing separate (non visible to each other) groups to allow DIFFERING (selective) forum access

by Dom F -
Number of replies: 1

Hi 

I need to be able to create two groups. That both have access to the same 10 courses but ONE group is not allowed to use messaging and forums (its part of a research project)

I assume groups are the best way to do this, but the groups must not be able to "see" or cmmunicate with each other (ditto the teachers)

Q1 is this the best way to do this?

Q2. Can you point me to where I might see the steps for Moodle 2.7.3

Thanks

Dom

Moodle 2.7.3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dom F

Re: Allowing separate (non visible to each other) groups to allow DIFFERING (selective) forum access

by Floyd Saner -

Dom,

The first method that comes to mind is to create a custom role for the group that is not allowed to use messaging and forums.  The group who can use forums and messaging would be given the standard Student role. The other group would be given the custom role.

See the documentation on creating custom roles:  https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Creating_custom_roles

You would create a new role with Student as the role Archetype (do not modify the standard Student role). Give this role a name and then Prohibit all Messaging and Forum permissions. Use the search/filter box to locate permissions associated with Messaging and Forums.

Floyd