Teaching with Moodle

Is there a limitation for groups and students enrolled into one course?

Picture of joy zhao
Is there a limitation for groups and students enrolled into one course?

Hi,

We are a big organisation that has about 4k staff. There are some courses that everyone needs to complete. We have to divide the users into about 100 groups so the managers can only see results within their own branch. 

My initial thought is to use meta course and groups. Not sure whether ONE mata course can handle so many users and groups. Is there a limit of maximum groups and users within one course? Any maximum members within one group?

Any good ideas for this situation? 

Cheers,

Joy

Average of ratings: -
math
Re: Is there a limitation for groups and students enrolled into one course?
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Joy,

I don't think there are any limits on the number of groups or users. Just practical limits on how long of a list of names one can deal with - 4000 is probably above that limit!

My school district uses a Moodle course for employees as one option to view some required health services presentations and we have had close to 4000 participants the last couple of years.

I use the Group Choice plugin (https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_choicegroup) to let the users self-select their school or division, then the course results are easily sorted by those groups. A central office person reports the results to the individual schools/departments, but I believe that if you assign one person in each group the non-editing teacher role, that person could see course results for that group only.

David

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of joy zhao

Thanks David. Definitely have to use groups.  In this particular case with such a huge number of learners, do you think one course with hundred groups will work smoothly? Maybe  should have the 100 groups spread over 3-5 courses copied from same master course? 

math
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I'm sot sure it would matter all that much. But keeping everything in the one course would be easier on the person (you?) creating/maintaining the course content and structure. And the person dealing with reports would only have one course to bother with. Using one course with lots of groups works fine for the case I mentioned. I didn't count, but it probably includes 150 groups.

Good luck!

David

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of joy zhao

Thanks David. Nice to know your case worked well. It's something for me to look into a bit more and try later.