Moodle for mobile

From "Standard" mobile app to "Customized" mobile app

Picture of Javier Tejera
From "Standard" mobile app to "Customized" mobile app

Hi all,

I am using the Standard  mobile app in my institution but we are considering to have our own customized app (basically, our own logo and colors, etc.).

We are wondering if either we have to expect some problems or the transition will be "smooth" and straightforward.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Helen Foster
Re: From "Standard" mobile app to "Customized" mobile app
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Hi Javier,

If you sign up for a Branded Moodle Mobile app from Moodle HQ, you won't have any problems whatsoever, as Moodle HQ takes care of everything, including publishing the app in the App Store & Google Play, and automatic updates every two months.

Picture of Javier Tejera

Hi Helen, many thanks. You are right, but we are going to try to use our in-house IT skills smile 

Picture of Grayson Bartlet

Are you only looking at visual customizations? If so, you can configure your moodle site to send the official app a custom css file. That way you can customize the app a bit without needing to go through all the overhead of maintaining and publishing your own build. However, with that method you can't change the app icon or splash screen. And, of course, you can't change the functionality at all.

As for making a custom app, the build process is a bit of a pain, as is publishing on the app store (google's store is easier). But there's decent documentation, and the process is fairly straightforward, I suppose.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Javier Tejera

Hi Grayson, yes, we have already a custom CSS file. Now we would like to have our own icons and splash screen.

I think we can do it, but I was wondering if I have to consider some important aspects. For instance, which backups are essentials, or which php files should we include in the new app in order to have exactly the same data of the courses, users, grades, activities reports, etc.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Atinder pal singh

Your data, courses, grades, activities, reports etc. would remain same, customized app won't change anything at all.

Picture of Javier Tejera

Thanks Atinder. 

What I don't understand is the process of migration from the old app to the new one from the students perspective. But I can imagine that basically the students just have to download the new app, log in, and they will have all the resources they used to have in the old app. As simple as that. 

Am I correct?

Picture of Atinder pal singh

Yes. it is just that simple. All you have to do is customize your app, put it over on Playstore and Appstore, tell people to download. They login, everything remains same inside.

Picture of Sergio Comerón Sánchez-Paniagua

another thing you will have to do: your own notification server (airnotifier).

Picture of Javier Tejera

Hi, many thanks for your help! I will figure out some aspects and I will be back if I have more questions. Thanks again!

Picture of Vinay Jain

Hi,

Were you able to do this? We are looking at doing the same.

Regarding push notifications, can't we use the default airnotifier with own own custom app name and the default airnotifier app name like:

Mobile app nameairnotifiermobileappname
Default: com.moodle.moodlemobile

The Mobile app unique identifier (usually something like com.moodle.moodlemobile).

Airnotifier app nameairnotifierappname
Default: commoodlemoodlemobile

Will this work? If not, can we use Google Firebase(GCM/FCM) instead of hosting airnotifier server?

Thanks

Picture of Vinay Jain

Hi,

Were you able to do this? We are looking at doing the same.

Regarding push notifications, can't we use the default airnotifier with own own custom app name and the default airnotifier app name like:

Mobile app nameairnotifiermobileappname
Default: com.moodle.moodlemobile

The Mobile app unique identifier (usually something like com.moodle.moodlemobile).

Airnotifier app nameairnotifierappname

Will this work? If not, can we use Google Firebase(GCM/FCM) instead of hosting airnotifier server?

Thanks

Picture of Vinay Jain

Sorry, this part got left out

Mobile app name
Default: com.ggk.app
Airnotifier app name
And then we get the key?

Picture of Javier Tejera

Hi Vinay, I don't really know due to I am not a developer. An IT person is working on this. Anyway, try to ask this question in the developer forum, I think there are some people there that can give you a hand smile

Picture of Vinay Jain

Was your IT guy able to do it?
That will be helpful. I have already posted in Developer forum but got no reply yet.

Picture of Javier Tejera

He is working on it. 

Anyway, a new version of the mobile app is coming with Moodle 3.5 (expected iMay). We are thinking about putting off the mobile app development until the new version is launched. I guess we can save some headaches in the future if we wait just a couple of months smile