same course structure for many courses

same course structure for many courses

by Ta Mo -
Number of replies: 8

I'd like to build a kind of Course structure "model" (for example with activities/resources mandatorily set  with a specific access condition) and make it not changeable by the Teachers. Is it possibile?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ta Mo

Re: same course structure for many courses

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yes, you can do this.  Create one course with everything that you want in its "shell."  Backup this course (no users), then restore it using a different course name.  Repeat this restore process for as many courses that you want.  Then edit each individual course to make them as needed.  Remove the rights for Teachers to make edits.

However, your desire puzzles me.  Why would you not want teachers to manage their own courses?  Do you not trust teachers?  Do you really want an "administrator" to be the only one who can make changes?  It seems to me that you are basically making Teachers act as students.

Well, you must have a good reason. But think about this.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ta Mo -

Thank you.

In my case I have many courses. So back up and restore for every one is a very long process.

Any chance to make it shorter?

(the reason why I am doing this is that, actually, teachers are not very familiar with Moodle and I am afraid they want be able to set up the course the way is needed)

In reply to Ta Mo

by Rick Jerz -

Sure, use the method that David suggests in our discussion (below.)

(If your teachers cannot learn, like students learn, you will probably be facing other issues.  It might be best in terms of long-term effort and support to try to train your teachers.)

In reply to Ta Mo

by David Morrow -

The Course Upload feature (https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Upload_courses) allows you to create multiple courses from one or more "template" courses by uploading a csv files. Use the "templatecourse" filed to specify the template course. Many options and much control possible.

David

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to David Morrow

by David Morrow -

oops - meant to type "templatecourse" field - not filed.

In reply to David Morrow

by Ta Mo -

Ok. Got it.(I 'll surely try that way). Many thanks both of you.

Since I have created many courses already with the default structure, in case I upload the same course (same short name I suppose) the way David said, will the existing course be correctly updated by the template structure and properties? (I still can do so because courses did not begin yet)

In reply to Ta Mo

by Rick Jerz -

Ta, some of your questions make me wonder if you have only one Moodle installed?  If so, consider installing an "experimental" moodle somewhere, either on your web server or on your local computer, so that you can explore moodle on your own and maybe gain a better understanding of how Moodle operates.  For example, I use MAMP on my Mac for all of my own experimenting.  When I understand what I am doing, then I apply what I have learned to my "production" moodle.

Remember to also read the Moodle docs, and to click on the many "question mark" icons scattered around the many moodle features.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ta Mo

by David Morrow -

I believe so - and I think that the existing course content will be completely replaced by the content of the template course. The page where you upload the CSV includes several options for creating and/or updating courses:

upload mode

Update mode

And I'm in total agreement with Rick on having access to an experimental site. I use MAMP on my Mac, too. And Moodle.org has links to installers for both MAc adn Windows on the latest releases page - https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/. Plus, my organization (a K-12 school district) provides me with a "live" test site. It is a copy of our production server. I use it to try things out  (like uploading courses) or test new plugins. And the real techs use it when it is time to upgrade, as a place to hold a copy of the production site, I believe.

David

Average of ratings: Useful (2)