General discussion

MoodleNet and integration in Moodle

Picture of Ruben Cancho
MoodleNet and integration in Moodle

Hi,

Doug, I completed my profile a little so I guess that counts as an intro ;)

I only want to share some visions:

To maximize the number of teachers that would use this social network it should be integrated in Moodle. 

One example is when adding an activity from Moodle, it could be searched and imported from MoodleNet directly without downloading it first.

But prior to this, if a teacher wants to add Moodlenet resources published from other teachers to their course it should first register their own site and at least share some basic info about the courses he/she is teaching, or better, share some resources.

Once registered MoodleNet could suggest adding as contacts teachers in their zone/language that teach the same levels and subjects.

Then it should suggest proactively new activities published from other teachers that you follow.

Let me know what you think!

Regards,

Ruben.

Picture of Doug Belshaw ??☠️✊
Re: MoodleNet and integration in Moodle

Hi Ruben, and welcome to the project*

Thanks for your suggestions! The idea (as it currently stands) is for MoodleNet to be separate too, but then integrated with, Moodle. I've written a 'thinking out loud' kind of blog post about this using the metaphor of the WordPress Jetpack plugin. 

Imagine users logging into a institutionally-hosted Moodle instance using their Project MoodleNet credentials because the two are connected in a similar way to how Jetpack works for the WordPress ecosystem.

To be clear, I’m not proposing that Project MoodleNet offers the same services as Jetpack, I’m saying that it serves as an example where you can create value in two places and additional value by linking them together.

This would mean…

• Teachers: professional social networking within their existing learning platform.
  • Instructional designers: faster access to curated open resources.
  • Sysadmins: better security and potentially reduced hosting costs.

I'm not sure if the metaphor works for everyone (it kind of assumes you've experience self-hosting WordPress) so I'm looking for a replacement. Perhaps the example of Thingiverse is better?

Doug smile

* It would still be great if you introduced yourself here!

Picture of Ruben Cancho

Hi Doug,

I don't know if I understand those metaphors correctly, I'm not familiar with Jetpack nor Thingiverse. You mean that a Moodle teacher account in a Moodle host could be linked to a MoodleNet account?

Could you expand on what would mean having social networking with other teachers from their Moodle instance?

And what do you mean by having better security and reduced costs in Moodle hosting?

I don't know in other countries but normally here teachers also have the role of "instructional designers", and in my case also sysadmin ;)

Sorry, I don't have too much time to answer but I just introduced myself!

Ruben.
Picture of Doug Belshaw ??☠️✊

Yes, that's right - Moodle accounts could be linked to Project MoodleNet accounts. Apologies if the metaphors didn't work!

To answer your other questions:

Could you expand on what would mean having social networking with other teachers from their Moodle instance?

Project MoodleNet will be a resource-centric social network, meaning that conversation / ratings / tagging is focused on resources. As such, it's valuable to surface this within Moodle instances where teachers and instructional designers spend a lot of their time.

And what do you mean by having better security and reduced costs in Moodle hosting? 

People often forget their passwords, so being able to login via Project MoodleNet (if the sysadmin turns that feature on) should add an extra layer of security. In terms of reducing costs, it makes little sense to have unversioned resources in thousands of Moodle instances. So there's an opportunity to host this in a distributed way that reduces the individual instance hosting burden. Think of something like IPFS

I don't know in other countries but normally here teachers also have the role of "instructional designers", and in my case also sysadmin ;) 

Absolutely. It's important for planning to separate out the roles, but we're committed to helping educators no matter the size of their Moodle instances, nor the number of roles they have within that instance!

Thanks for your questions - keep them coming smile