Moodle attendance does not function properly

Moodle attendance does not function properly

by Sercan Çelik -
Number of replies: 10

Dear all, I am having a problem related to taking attendance on moodle. The attendance plugin and student lists seem to work fine. However, the problem is when I take attendance for a class of 20 students, although I ensure that I mark all students as absent/present, sometimes, some of the students are marked as if their attendance was not taken. Does anybody have an idea or solution for this problem?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sercan Çelik

Re: Moodle attendance does not function properly

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I haven't seen this before, make sure you are using a supported version of Moodle and the latest version of the attendance plugin available for that version. Then if you are still having issues, please provide more information about the Moodle version, attendance version you are using and include some screenshots that show the behaviour you are seeing.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sercan Çelik -

We are using Moodle 3.4, and the default attendance plugin. Even though I use the buttons at the top to mark all students automatically, while some students' attendance is saved properly, some others experience problems. Is there a way I can follow the activities in a more detailed way than the logs in report show?

Attachment 1234.png
In reply to Sercan Çelik

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you give us more details?  Do you mean that when you click on P and hit save, Present is only saved for some students in the class?  Can students mark themselves as attended?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Sercan Çelik -

That's exactly what happened. By the way, students do not have a right to mark themselves as attended.

In reply to Sercan Çelik

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you been able to replicate this yourself?  Have you actually seen it happen?  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Sercan Çelik -

Yes I have, and I couldn't figure out why yet.

In reply to Sercan Çelik

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

are there multiple pages of students within the attendance report? - clicking the status at the top will only change the status for users on the current page. You may need to make sure all students are being displayed?

I haven't seen behaviour that you describe happening without user error. (multiple users taking the attendance/some other setting etc)

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sercan Çelik -

Yes, there are multiple pages of students yet my experience is limited to only a certain page. I actually couldn't figure out the reason yet and looking for a more technically detailed report to analyze, do you happen to know if Moodle can generates one?

In reply to Sercan Çelik

by Dan Marsden -
If you could find a way to reliably reproduce this and generate some sort of video that shows it happening I might be able to look closer.

also make sure you are using the latest version of the attendance plugin for your Moodle version.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sercan Çelik -

I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the help.

By the way, we are using the latest version of the plugin. I don't think it is related to plugin, but somehow the way it is configured. Anyway, thanks a lot.