by David Delgado -
Number of replies: 48

Here, in the Center of Innovation for the Information Society (CICEI) at
the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain), we have been
researching in adaptive e-learning based on conditionals activities on
Moodle. We would like you to test our work and see if we can use it to
improve Moodle.

As a first step, we have developed a DEMO COURSE to show what our
implementation of conditional activities can do with simple conditions.

You can test them, creating a new account on one of our development
servers to see conditional activities as a STUDENT at:

http://coti.cicei.com/test/moodleb/course/view.php?id=15

Then, you can see how the course has been designed and configured
(DESIGNER view) loggin off and login in again as

user: teacher
password: teacher

at:

http://coti.cicei.com/test/moodleb/course/view.php?id=18

You have the DOCUMENTATION about the source code and how to integrate it
in Moodle and the SOURCE CODE itself attached in this message.

It would be of great help for us knowing you opinion about our work and
ideas about it. We would like to contribute to the implementation of
conditional activities into the official releases of Moodle. We look
forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much in advance.

--
Sincerely,

David Delgado  davidds@apren-d.com

Center of Innovation for the Information Society (CICEI):
http://www.cicei.com

E-learning department:
http://innova.cicei.com

Moodle server:
http://cursos.cicei.com

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Delgado

Re: Conditional activities: NEW research on CONDITIONAL ACTIVITIES in Moodle

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Uhmmm,

just my first impulse (without being reflexive at all)!

Great Stuff, David!!! cool cool cool
(and the test course, really illustrative and self-explanatory)

Congratulations, great job!!
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi David,

From what I could tell as the guest teacher, this looks fantastic! This is something I would really like to have. There is one thing that would be very useful--I notice that you can set activities conditional upon language and country--have you thought about also being able to make them conditional upon group? This is something that many people have been wanting.

I have been using Stuart Mayor's activity locking and I know he has been developing his code to be adaptive--have you and Stuart been in contact? From what I can tell, what's missing from your code that is in Stuart's code is the ability to make an activity conditional upon a time delay, and to have a conditional icon (checkmark--a nice way to show a student's progress--although it looks like you could make a label that would do the same thing--for example a label that says--you have completed this activity) that appears in front of an activity showing that it has been completed, and or the required activity has been completed (a checkmark behind the activity), and the ability to choose whether the locked activity is still visible even though it has been locked.  Stuart's code also has the ability to lock an entire section/topic/week--another thing that would be nice.

Time Delay

Days 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 Hours 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 Mins

Settings

Visible when locked: No Yes
Show activity completion: No Yes
Show activity prerequisites:

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by David Delgado -

...I notice that you can set activities conditional upon language and country--have you thought about also being able to make them conditional upon group?  This is something that many people have been wanting...

It could be a good idea to do that, and everything can be coded. wink Anyway, first of all, we want to have a good, reliable, stable code that can be integrated into Moodle with the first characteristics we have already implemented. We can improve it and add many new possibilities afterwards. Anyway... we have provided the source code and documentation to you. If anyone is interested in developing that, they will be welcomed. smile

...I have been using Stuart Mayor's activity locking and I know he has been developing his code to be adaptive--have you and Stuart been in contact?...

I am afraid not... we have been doing a big research in adaptive e-learning involving conditional activities, learning styles, learning objectives oriented activities, etc... so, we have been working on our own. Anyway, we have tested his work on activity locking to get ideas.

...From what I can tell, what's missing from your code that is in Stuart's code is the ability to make an activity conditional upon a time delay, and to have a conditional icon (checkmark--a nice way to show a student's progress) that appears in front of an activity showing that it has been completed, and or the required activity has been completed (a checkmark behind the activity), and the ability to choose whether the locked activity is still visible even though it has been locked...

Our vision on conditional activities is clear: they should be both simple and powerful. So, we just define any combination of any kind of conditions on any activities to activate (show) a given conditional activity. It is simple: if it suits the conditions, it is shown; if not, it is hidden. It is very difficult to follow a course having lots of activities that are shown, but cannot be used. We prefer to hide them, as you can see it the demo course we have provided.

We do not have a "completed" activity, we just have several conditions for any activity. For example: "in a forum, the number of messages that the student sent to it is less or equal that 2". (that condition has nothing about "completed"). So, we cannot have conditional icons to show "completed" activities. This is very good to make good courses having a non-sequential behaviour.

Regarding the time delay, it is an interesting characteristic that can be introduced, as groups are. We prefer to have a good, reliable code covering the things we have already developed, as I told you before. We will have time to improve a lot afterwards. smile

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi David,

I understand about the visible/invisible--I personally wouldn't want a locked activity to ever be visible. And like I said, you have created the ability to have a label appear, for example: Congratulations! You have done the 3 most important activities of the course: to participate in the forum, send the assignment and take the quiz. So, that takes care of the progress checking. And like you say, it also is much better than a check--since the checkmark was problematic for things like resources that have no definable "completed" criteria.

One more quick (dumb) question, I am assuming that if a student takes a quiz and the activities appear based on each question, then if they take the quiz again, with different answers, will all of the activities/labels change based on the new quiz results?

Great work, I will test this code as soon as I get a chance. Thanks

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi,

for all the conditionals to quiz questions it is taken always the last response that the student sent. For the conditionals to quiz grades it is taken the teacher grading method.

Bye.

by Rhonda Goetz -

I am liking this!  One question.  Are you using Captivate to make the tutorial?

Rhonda

In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by F. Javier Toledo Ravelo -
Yes, we did it with Macromedia Captivate, we´re using it in courses that we´ve distributed.  In this case is a little one, is not indeed a wonder example, but I think that it can show this new functionality for moodle correctly.

Other CONDITIONAL ACTIVITIES 'Hack'

by Simon Williams -
I commissioned Jamie P to create a moodle 'hack' to allow our students to see which activities they had completed and where they were up to ie:
- completed courses ticked
- automatically returned to the next activity

The reference is:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=28790#135340

I was very pleased with what Jamie created for us but I am also eager to see conditional activities integrated with Moodle.

Thanks 4 letting us preview this work.

-Simon
In reply to Simon Williams

Re: Other CONDITIONAL ACTIVITIES 'Hack'

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi,

I have been looking at Jamie's work and I like much. I have a question: What are the criterion coded currently to decide when an activity is completed?

Bye.
In reply to Borja Rubio Reyes

by N Hansen -
That's a good question. If it were a quiz with essay questions, for example, would it be when the student submitted their quiz, or when the teacher finished grading all their questions? I use this as an example because the student could come and go from the quiz multiple times before finishing it, and so could the teacher in grading the essay questions, if they graded each question one by one.
In reply to N Hansen

by Simon Williams -
Yes, our device is only simple - once viewed it is ticked as done.

We are using flash activities that automatically return users to the course, tick the activity completed (viewed), and then indicate which activity is next in line to do. This allows users to return to the course later and remember where they are up to.

So once an activity is viewed it is ticked.

Our return code looks like this (inside flash files)

//script contained on last frame of movie

//script to redirect

stop();
moodleService.cleanUp('course');

A more complex solution like the one above or Stuart Mayor's activity locking are more like what you probably require.

The nice thing about Jamie's 'hack' was that only one line of code in one file of the official moodle release needed changing so upgrading is easy.

-S
In reply to Simon Williams

by Chardelle Busch -
David and Borja,

In reading your documentation, it mentions that the module of Learning styles test must be installed, however, that module is not included in the code zip. Do I need to install this?  Is this something you have available for download?

Thanks

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi,

really the module of Learning styles test is only needed to work with learning styles, not to work with conditionals. The only thing to bearing in mind is that teacher should say that learning styles are not going to be used in the page of creation/edition of a course. On the other hand, we have decided not to send the module still to centre the attention on conditionals, but if you are interested we'll send it to you by mail.

by Chardelle Busch -
Thank you Borja,

I understand now, the module sounds very interesting, I think I will just test the code without it for now.  I'll let you know how it goes.

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Borja,

Would you please go ahead and send me the LS test mod.  I think it needs to be installed in order for the conditionals to work--I am missing the lstest_styles table which I assume is created by this mod.  I'm also having problems that might be related.  When I add a condition to an activity, I get the number in the ID column, the red X in the Not Used column.  And, when I add a condition to an activity, that condition appears as a condition for all of the activities in the course.

Also, in conditions.php about lines 902 and 904 it refers to the conditional.php file. This file was not in the zip. Was the file missing or should it be conditions.php?

Thanks

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Chardelle,

we will send you the module.

Really the table lstest_styles is created by the installation of the module, but you should not have problems with it. Where does Moodle ask for this table?.

With regard to the file conditional.php exactly it should be conditions.php.

And with regard to the problem of a condition that appears as a condition for all of the activities I don't know what can be happening but I will look at the code. We have never had this problem.

Bye.

by Chardelle Busch -
Thanks Borja,

I will install the mod and hopefully that will clear things up--there is also the possiblity that I did something wrong setting up my db tables.

Conditions.php refers to the lstest_styles record so it says that table doesn't exist when I click on the conditionals icon to go to that page.

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Chardelle,

and thank you very much. You were ok. There are four lines of code related to learning styles and objectives that must not be in conditions.php file in code.zip. I forget to remove them after a few changes that i did. Here is the file without that lines: conditions.php. And all the code with new version of conditions.php can be downloaded from David's first post in this discussion or from here: SOURCE CODE.

We have proved the module and the conditionals code with version 1.5.2 of Moodle, but we are working to update it to versions 1.5.3+ and 1.6-dev. All the code is under development so its correct functioning is not guaranteed and we recommend not to use it in production servers.

Bye.

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Borja,

I have reinstalled everything and am getting some errors after setting some conditions and having a student do activities:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_IS_EQUAL in ... course\lib.php (1214): eval()'d code on line 1

and

Warning invalid argument supplied foreach() in ...course\lib.php line 1191

Re: NEW research on CONDITIONAL ACTIVITIES in Moodle - Introducing our main code developer: Borja Rubio

by David Delgado -

Now that our work about conditional activities has been presented, it is important for us to introduce our main code developer to you: Borja Rubio. He has done all the implementation and coding of our work on this project until now. So, he is the person in charge of the code development, acording to the research line of our group at the CICEI, and with the help of the rest of the team. So, any questions related to the source code should be answered by him. Just to let you now.

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
We have created another course to let you probe conditionals as you want. If needed, it will be restored to its initial state periodically.

The course is at

http://coti.cicei.com/test/moodleb/course/view.php?id=19

and you can login as teacher using:

user: teacher
password: teacher

It would be of great help for us knowing your opinion and ideas. Thank you very much in advance.

by Tony Ruggiero -
Nice work!

We have a need for "reverse" locking. I asked this in the Activity Locking discussion but no reponse. We have a few quizes that need to be taken in order:

Quiz 1
Quiz 2
Quiz 3

The folks want to limit access to prior quizes after the student attempts a subsequent quiz.

Example:
Student attempts Quiz 1 and has 3 tries to improve their grade. If that student moves on and accesses Quiz 2, then they need to be prevented from attempting Quiz 1 again (regardless of the number of attempts they completed on it).

I hope this makes sense. Will this code do that for us?

Thanks,
Tony
In reply to Tony Ruggiero

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi Tony,

I'm in the process of testing this code and here is a suggestion of what you could do.  Since this code uses syntax of or and and and not  and since it will work with individual quiz questions, it will most likely work for you.  E.g. you could make Quiz 1 be blocked on the conditions of any answer to question one in Quiz 2. In other words, once they answer question one in Quiz 2, then Quiz 1 is locked.  There currently isn't a condition for just viewing or accessing an activity.

by Tony Ruggiero -
Chardelle:

Thanks for the head's up. I will have to download it and test it out.

Thanks again,
Tony

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators

Hola David,

I would also love to try this out. What I see on your test courses is really impressive.

I have downloaded the files in this thread. Is it possible that you can send me the mod, so I can give my feedback?

Thanks,

Jens

In reply to Jens Gammelgaard

by Tony Ruggiero -
Folks:

I too would love to test this out. Where can I download this? The code downloaded from here must be missing some files.

Thanks,
Tony

by Tony Ruggiero -
Folks:

I too would love to test this out. Where can I download this? The code downloaded from here must be missing some files.

Thanks,
Tony
In reply to Tony Ruggiero

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Tony,

I will send the learning styles test module to you.

The zip file downloaded from here contains only the files that must be added to make conditionals work. And the changes in "documentation" file must be made too.

Bye.

by Paul Atreides -
would learning styles be like learning orientation (resistant etc.) and can you present a special view of the LMS based on their status?

If so, please please let me try this out. I have to asses 70,000 students according to their orientation and then present to them special topics and it is so far all "up in the air"

Also, I am running 1.5.3+
In reply to Paul Atreides

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Brad,

I don't understand the first part of your question. The module nowadays contains CHAEA in spanish but you can design or import new tests. So students can be classified in one/several learning style/s. And with the SOURCE CODE presented by David in this discussion, besides of define conditionals teachers can choose one of the following options in a course that uses learning styles:

- Students see "all" the course activities
- Students see "only the course activities recommended" to theirs learning style/s
- Students can choose the course view (all activities or recommended activies) in any moment.

On the other hand we recommend not to use it in production servers, because of code is under development so its correct functioning is not guaranteed and it isn't optimized. At this moment we have proved the module and the conditionals code with version 1.5.2 of Moodle only.

by Robert Brenstein -
Is your learning styles module based on some standard assessment instrument or is that just a test module that happens to have learning styles as its topic?
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Robert,

the module nowadays contains CHAEA (Cuestionario Honey-Alonso de estilos de aprendizaje) in spanish but you can "design across several module pages" or "import from an xml file" new tests.

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi David & Borja,

I hope you could add a little text to your documentation.

I mean especially where it described how to copy and paste the code.

The added text that I mean could fx. be: The copied: from line 100 -> line 110 should replace or or should be added to view.php.

Or maybe just add the files with the correct code smile

In this way we can test it faster for you smile

Gracias,

Best regards

by Andy Kemp -
This looks fantastic!  Any word on when this will be available for 1.5.3+??

Do the changes you describe in the documentation (I have only breifly looked at it) work in 1.5.3+  or is something different required to get that working?

Cheers
Andy
In reply to Andy Kemp

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Andy,

I cannot say when this will be available because these days I am working in other things so I have not started to get it to work with version 1.5.3+. But since it works with that version we will send a message to the forum.

Bye.

Re: NEW research on CONDITIONAL ACTIVITIES in Moodle - Moodle 1.5.2 and Learning Styles Test module downloads

by David Delgado -

Moodle 1.5.2 and Learning Styles Test module downloads

We provide links to download those things that are important for our code to work:

• Our work on conditional activities currently works only on Moodle 1.5.2, as shown in the documentation (current Moodle version is 1.5.3 and 1.6 is close to be released). Take into account that it is a very early version of the code, and should NOT be used in a production server.
  • The Learning Styles Test module is not needed to try the features shown in the demo, but we have been asked for it many times, and we sent it previously by email.

Here are the downloads for:

Please, take a look at the Activity Modules Documentation in MoodleDocs. Anyway, I think it is just a matter of unziping it in the /mod/ directory at your moodle installation and it will appear in the Administration web interface in Moodle (at Administration » Configuration » Modules ).

Hope this helps. smile

Re: NEW research on CONDITIONAL ACTIVITIES in Moodle - Moodle 1.5.2 and Learning Styles Test module downloads

by Marion de Groot -

Hi David,

What is this zip:

• moodle-1.5.2.zip (for Windows)

Is it a complete new install?

I'm afraid if I unzipped this to my server, I loose all my modifications and extra modules I've installed so far

In reply to Marion de Groot

by David Delgado -

Yes, it is a complete new install of Moodle 1.5.2, WITHOUT our development. You can add it afterwards, following the instructions given in de documentation we provided. Thake a look at the first message in this discussion.

The best way to test it is to make a new moodle installation, different from the one you are currently using, to test the new conditional activities. So, you wil loose nothing and you will get everything: just use 2 moodles, one for production (normal courses) and the other just to test this development. Remember you will have also 2 moodle databases, with 2 different names, 1 for each moodle installation.

Is it more clear now? smile

by Marion de Groot -
Hi David,
I've made a new moodle installation, and put all the files from the code.zip in the right directories. Then I go to my admin page (testdomain/admin/)to see the module, but what I get is this:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare check_dir_exists() (previously declared in /path to my testmoodledir/HTML/lib/moodlelib.php:6422) in /path to my testmoodledir/HTML/backup/lib.php on line 86

If I go to one of my testcourses, I get this:

Warning: print_section(/path to my testmoodledir/HTML/mod/lstest/lib.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /path to my testmoodledir/HTML/course/lib.php on line 973

Do you have a clue for me?

by David Delgado -

Hi, Marion,

Sorry for the delay in the response. We have been very busy this week at work. I told Borja (the code developer) to answer your question, but I am afraid he is also very busy right now. He will have a look at your problem as soon as possible.

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Marion,

In relation with the first error i think it is caused by your installation of moodle, but rigth now i don't know where is the problem.

In relation with the second error, Is the LSTest module installed?

Bye.

by Ger Tielemans -
I did an install in a 1.6 testmoodle: I could do the test in Spanish and got a 4 component overview, only graph.php did not show any result. (And my Spanish is not good: is there an English translation available.)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Donna Mayne -

I tried installing the activity locking module and got the same error

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare check_dir_exists() (previously declared in /path to my testmoodle/lib/moodlelib.php:6422) in /path to my testmoodle/backup/lib.php on line 86

Any ideas as to if this something to do with the instal or with the activity locking module?

by Pablo López -
Hi,

Well done for your contribution to Moodle; conditional activities are really interesting.

Anyway, I've got a few questions:

- Is there any centralized site where we can find the latest source code, documentation, etc... instead of spread messages and attachments through this forum?

- What's the step-by-step procedure to install the conditional activies module?. I've had a look at the documentation, but it doesn't cover that information.

Thanks a lot, we'll keep in touch smile

Pablo.

by Dmitri Kuzmenko -
any news about this incredible module? where I can download stable version to use with Moodle 1.5.3+ ? 

Re: NEW research on CONDITIONAL ACTIVITIES in Moodle - Contact Borja for any further information

by David Delgado -
As I said before in this discussion, the person responsible for the code of the CONDITIONAL ACTIVITIES development for Moodle at CICEI is Borja Rubio. If you need any further information regarding the code or installation, please, contact him at: brubior [AT] gmail.com . I just presented his work here and made the demo.

by Leonardo Terra -

Nice job... How can I get this?

In reply to Leonardo Terra

by David Delgado -
The link to the demo, source code and documentation have been posted in this discussion, right from the beggining.

As I said before, if you need any further information regarding the code or installation, please, contact Borja Rubio at: brubior [AT] gmail.com .