repeating error in log file after upgrade to moodle 3.4

repeating error in log file after upgrade to moodle 3.4

by james mergenthaler -
Number of replies: 4

I updated my moodle from 3.1 - 3.4 recently and see a reoccurring error in my log file for the updated instance.

script 'C:/wamp64/www/xxxxx/calendar/set.php' not found or unable to stat

There is no set.php file in the calendar folder in moodle 3.4, but there was a set.php file in the calendar folder in the previous version I was using, 3.1.

I was tempted to copy the file from the 3.1 instance into the 3.4 instance, but that is probably a bad idea.

This error has showed up about 600 times in the past couple days.

I don't think its causing any issues in moodle, just making it difficult to find useful/important things in the error logs.

Also updated the underlying WAMP from 2.5 to 3.1 and am using PHP 7.0.23, mysql 5.7.19 and apache 2.4.27

Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to james mergenthaler

Re: repeating error in log file after upgrade to moodle 3.4

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Got web server error logs that show where that request is coming from?  Might be someone has a device and they have it set to sync with the calendar in Moodle?

That's a guess.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

possibly that.... or....

I'm assuming you have a separate PHP log?  Switch on Debugging up full. When it happens again, you should get a trace that will indicate what called it. I'm wondering if an out of date plugin is responsible. 

You could also check that any optional plugins are compatible with 3.4!

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

I dug into this a bit as we have the same error in our logs. Check if it's always coming from the same IP. For ours it did and it's a link crawling bot that keeps trying to get the /calendar/set.php page for some reason.

The Apache transfer log will have info, for example:

216.244.66.241 - - [23/Aug/2018:01:12:28 -0400] "GET /calendar/set.php?return=L2NhbGVuZGFyL3123asucGhwP3ZpZXc9bW9udGgmdGltZT0xMTU0NDA0ODAwJmNvdXJzZT0x&var=showglobal HTTP/1.1" 404 4876 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; DotBot/1.1; http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/dotbot, help@moz.com)"

Which leads to information about it at https://moz.com/researchtools/ose/dotbot

You can exclude certain pages or parts of the site using robots.txt

by Lev Zadumkin -

I have the same error. Just add these lines to the robots.txt:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /calendar/set.php
Average of ratings: Useful (1)