Quiz

Give 100 % when grade is over 8/10

François Lizotte
Give 100 % when grade is over 8/10
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle 3.2

This question might have been addressed before, but I lack the technical English vocabulary to perform an efficient search.

Is there a way to automatically give a 100% on a quiz to all students who reached 80%? It's like a bonus for the best students.

François

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Give 100 % when grade is over 8/10
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

It might be possible to do this in the gradebook. Add another column with a calculation that modifies the basic quiz score.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Rick Jerz

I think that Tim has a good suggestion.  I tried what Tim suggests, and was having some success.  Yes, it takes another grade item, but this grade item can be based upon some other grade item, such as a quiz.  But setting up the desired calculation can be tricky because the "IF" function, I believe, is not available.  So you have to use the functions that are available in creative ways.  Maybe the modulo function can work, using 80 as the seed.  If you divide the actual score by 80 and there is a remainder, somehow convert this into a score.

I wonder, don't your best students earn an actual 100%?  80 is not the best.  smile

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Dominique Bauer
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

If the maximum grade for the quiz is 100, use:

Calculation (max grade = 100)   

=min(100,⟦quizIDnumber⟧+20*floor(⟦quizIDnumber⟧/80))

If the maximum grade for the quiz is say 15, use:

=min(100,⟦quizIDnumber⟧*100/15+20*floor(⟦quizIDnumber⟧/(0.8*15)))

If you copy/paste, replace ⟦ and ⟧ by the correct double brackets.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
Picture of Rick Jerz

Yep, looks great Dominique!

(The beauty of moodle.org!!!)

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

There is a trick you can use to do grade calculations like this, but I have forgotten what it is. I learned it many years ago from these forums, so it will be in the archives somewhere, but probably quite hard to find.

One approach would be a forumula like

=min(100, [ [quiz_grade] ] + 1000 * max([ [quiz_grade] ] - 0.8, 0)

But actually, I think Dominique's forumla is better.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
François Lizotte

Thank you for your help. You made me discover how to add a formula in the gradebook. smile

However, after discussing with the person who asked the question through another person, the actual need is a bit different than what I summarized in my initial post.

François

François Lizotte

I'm back.

Let's say my quiz has 8 questions worth 1 pt each. But  I want to give students a chance and bring donw the denominator to 6.

So student 1 has 6/8  and would end up with 6/6.

Student 2 has 5/8 and would end up with 5/6.

Of course, student 3 with 8/6 would only get 6/6.

It's like having two bonus questions. Tim posted something about it in 2014: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=274384

Wondering if it is possible. Isn't there a simple way to just change the denominator?

François

Dominique Bauer
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Hi François,

For the best six out of eight answers and assuming the maximum grade for the quiz is 8, use:

=min(6,⟦quizIDnumber⟧)/6*100

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
François Lizotte

Great, it works. And I finally understood how to proceed deep in the grade book.

Cheers!

François

Picture of Rick Jerz

Moodle's grade book far surpasses the other major LMSs grade books.  They can't come close!  smile  (Sometimes I like to take the opportunity to point this out.)

I might also add that support for moodle's features, i.e., moodle.org, also surpasses that of others (as you have witnessed.)

Good luck.