by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Setup

• 1 forum
  • 10 groups of students

What I'm trying to achieve:

1. A student should be able to post to all groups
  2. A student only receives a notification when something is posted to his group.

I have been playing with several set-ups, but can't get the above to work.

• Separate groups makes that the student can not see the other groups.
  • Visible groups make it so that the student can see other groups, but not post to them

So then I went with the permissions structure. There seem to be 2 permissions:

• moodle/site:accessallgroups
  • mod/forum:canposttomygroups

However, if I grant the above two permissions to a student he can post to all groups... but he also receives notifications from EVERY post.

Anyone know if there's a solution to this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: Forum dilemma

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I don't think that this is going to work at all. Forums are designed for open participation, once enrolled. I suspect you will either have create 10 forums and enroll individually, or create 10 new courses with a forums and enroll accordingly.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

10 courses is no solution I think. How many courses can a student and a teacher participate in?

For a student i would say around 10-15 at the same time. For a teacher this might even be a lower number.

Then 10 forums might be an option.

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

There is no limit, effectively, to the number of courses a Student can be enrolled in, same with a Teacher. The only limit is, really, practicality and institutional practice. It might be a practice that a Student is enrolled in X number of courses in semester 1, but X - 3 courses in semester 2. Or they may be enrolled in 2X - 3 courses all year, spreading them throughout the whole year and not on a semester basis. The next year, they may continue enrollment in those courses for the first semester, but also be enrolled in Y courses at the same time. 

In this instance, if you have 10 groups with 10 participants in each group then 1 forum and 1 group in each course is not impractical and maintains complete security as the only person to move between each forum is the Teacher.  

Having said all that, there is also an option of using Groups within a forum, this Moodle Doc might give you some insight into how you might be able to manipulate forum users  so you can get it to work the way you want. You might still have 10 forums, but in one course.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Some of this can be handled with optional or initial subscription, in the sense that a student has some tools to manage what he/she receives notifications from, once he/she has posted something in a forum discussion, much in the same way the Moodle Community Forums have been set up to be.

Maybe forced subscription isn't the way to go for this scenario, so try the other two.