Quiz

Calculated questions - error dmlreadexception

Picture of Miro Iliaš
Calculated questions - error dmlreadexception

Hello,

I had working calculated questions. After some Moodle upgrades (now we have version 3.3)  when I want to save the question again, I get error https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/error/moodle/dmlreadexception.

It seems that the database of wildcards is gone and I have to restore the question manually by opening new one and copying question elements (items) there.

Upon creating new calculated question - by copying the old one into new - I am getting the same error of dmlreadexception.

Also, when I did copy of the existing old Quiz (with calculated questions) in the course, this opens new question category which I can not delete.

Any help, please ?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Miro Iliaš
Re: Calculated questions - error dmlreadexception

Well,

I can not even create new calculated question as I am getting  http://docs.moodle.org/33/sk/error/moodle/dmlreadexception when saving even the simplest calculated question with wildcards.

This is most probably issue of the the Moodle 3.3 installation, because at another Moodle 3.3 installation I do not hit this error.

Any help, please? 

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Can you temporarily set Debugging to Developer level, and try again. That should give more information in the error messages. Please copy and paste it here.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Miro Iliaš

Hi Tim,

I passed your answer to our admin. Hopefully he will do debugging.

There is another, maybe related issue: I copied the old Quiz and see that this established new category of questions, outside the course, named after the duplicated the Quiz. 

This category can not be reached and is visible only from within the duplicated test, not from the course question bank. This question category is empty and I can not reach it, nor delete it. Calculated questions of the duplicated test are in their proper categories, but I can not edit them due to dmlreadexception error.

Why did the duplication of Quiz establish new question category outside the scope of the course ? It is like  StudentQuiz establishing new question category outside course...

Picture of Miro Iliaš
Re: Calculated questions - error dmlreadexception / SOLVED

Hi again,

we can close this ticket as solved - admin had to change the coding in database tables,  for instance the table   mdl_question_dataset_definitions from otf8  to utf8mb4_general_ci .