any game or something to do to "warm up" participants?

any game or something to do to "warm up" participants?

by Brian Liu -
Number of replies: 6

I want to engage participants to share, but before that, this group of people are not familiar with each other which might preventing them sharing.

So I wonder do you have experience or thought that I can try before any learning and sharing, some "warm up" to make those people maybe play or enjoy and then they start knowing each other and become more willing to share?

any thought, activity? Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Liu

Re: any game or something to do to "warm up" participants?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

While this is not really a Moodle issue, it is a common teaching issue. I am going to advise that the best, for me anyway, is to introduce yourself, defining your expertise, and ask one person to do the same, then another and another until everyone has responded. Also, you might want to ask them why they are doing your course if they are choosing to do it, not if it is compulsory. Look for common ground amongst them and try to build on that, if they are adults. During your first few sessions, if it is, say, a week long course running two sessions a day, look for ways to create small group activities with the material you are trying to teach. You can swap members of these groups every time so that everyone gets to work with everyone else. We all eat, so if adults, share food and break times. Find the ones who do not join in and encourage them to do so, invite them specifically to a table. Do things that suit your audience.     

Of course, if children, then they are likely to have shared classes for a while, so all the above is either not useful or inappropriate for the student-teacher relationship. You haven't said, but by the tone of your question, I am assuming adults who don't work together and don't know each other.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

回复: Re: any game or something to do to "warm up" participants?

by Brian Liu -

Thanks for the ideas!

They are adults and they are all parents. We do parents training. 

Many of those parents have been to our face to face workshops before, some of them know each other.

I've been asking them to make self introduction but in a forum not in turn and some done quickly and others just not.

I believe creating small groups will help a lot.

BTW, are you talking all those in moodle or you mean in person? Are you using self introduction in moodle like this also?

In reply to Brian Liu

Re: 回复: Re: any game or something to do to "warm up" participants?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you can install plugins, try out Hot Question. You can ask the parents questions or let them post questions. They can then "vote" on them. Teacher can start new "round" at any time. Lot's of other features, too.

In reply to AL Rachels

回复: Re: 回复: Re: any game or something to do to "warm up" participants?

by Brian Liu -

Nice plugin!Thanks for sharing!

In reply to Brian Liu

Re: 回复: Re: any game or something to do to "warm up" participants?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I am no longer teaching Distance Adult courses, so all my classes are face to face. However, I know that one of the Moodles I used to Admin is now offering distance learning and remote communities. We discussed a number of these issues before I left, and the forum was a tool mainly touted as the best option for this. If they ever get good Broadband to remote areas, I expect it will be Big Blue Button that will be the tool of choice.   

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

回复: Re: 回复: Re: any game or something to do to "warm up" participants?

by Brian Liu -
Nice to know! Tried a little bit Big Blue Button, thanks!