Themes

Home Screen Image in Adaptable Theme not visible in Moodle Mobile App

Picture of Ana Ferrer-Bonsoms
Home Screen Image in Adaptable Theme not visible in Moodle Mobile App

Hello,

Adaptable Theme allows you, among many other things, to have a picture in the Home Screen.

When using the Moodle Mobile App for that site with Adaptable, the image on the Home Screen is not visible.

Is the Adaptable Home Page not available on the Moodle Mobile App?

We are using Moodle 3.4, and version of Adaptable 1.6.1.

We have spent quite a bit of time, and we are just wondering whether what we are trying to do: show an image on the Home Screen of the Moodle Mobile App from an Adaptable Theme, is just not possible yet.

Any help, pointer, etc ... will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ana

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: Home Screen Image in Adaptable Theme not visible in Moodle Mobile App
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I don't believe the mobile app picks up the site theme - although Adaptable and many others are fully responsive for using on a mobile web browser.

The mobile app can be styled via a css file, yourmoodlesite/admin/settings.php?section=mobileappearance so it should be possible to do what you are asking, although I haven't personally tried it yet.

Picture of Xavier Molina-Schenk

Hi there,
same probleme here. I was searching in moodle.org, if someone had come up with a solution and then I landed here.
In our case, the Moodle home screen is, apart from the search field,  completely blanc..
Cheers!

Picture of Fernando Acedo
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

You are mixing two concepts without any relationship.

Moodle mobile app is totally different to a moodle site using a responsive theme.That should be clear because it is not possible to show the moodle theme inside the app.

The only you can do is, as Richard stated, configure a CSS file to match the moodle site theme styles. And, if you are using Adaptable, then configure the mobile settings section to adapt the elements to the mobile view.

I understand completely the concept and what you are saying, dear Fernando. Your are right.

We started with the Design of our start page with 'adaptable'-theme using its wonderfull features. From the original start page we just use the search field and we populated the page mainly with nicely colored adaptable blocks.

In the mobile.app there is now just the search field. This is of course something we expect given the Design we choosed.

Then, of course, we tried to choose another theme especially for mobile devices but this had then just an effect in the browser.app of the mobile device but not in the mobile.app where it relates to the default theme.

I think, that it would not be possible to show for example the course-block via CSS only in the mobile.app omitting it in the adaptable start page.

Ps: My Englisch is horrible. But I hope you get the pointwink

Picture of Fernando Acedo
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Could you attach a screenshot explaining what you want to achieve?

This is our front page (start page).

As you can see at the bottom, there is the search field that will remain as the only front page element of the moodle system.

This is how the configuration in the Admin UI looks like.

And therefore that is the result for the front-page in moodle mobile.app…

Honestly, I think that we have to live with that for the moment. 

But if I could choose, I would like to show here at least the course list or the categories, since it is, of course, not possible to get these smart designed elements (marketing blocks) of the adaptable theme here – as you explained so thoroughly.

It's only an avatar...
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I think what you do not understand is that the Moodle App is only a mechanism for delivering course material for Students in  a specific way. At least that is my honest opinion of it.

It is NOT a SHOWBOAT of what your Moodle site offers as MOST Moodle sites are more than adiquate for showing the world what they have to offer, and can be seen in all modern mobile devices, including Laptops and Tablets.

I think that expecting the Moodle Mobile App to look the same as the theme you are using, is not on the cards, as the code the App is built with is not compatible with Moodle Themes.

If I am wrong then I am sure someone will put me right...

;)

Oh hi Mary

I really don't want to lead the discussion to such serious question whether somebody is wrong or right. Moretheless I appreciate your honest opinion.

So the question what moodle is or not – and what IT has to deliver or not could now be a starting point for another more didactical discussion. I guess this would go beyond the initial technical problem which, of course, never should be discussed isolated from didactical reflections.

Finally, I agree, that from a technical point of view it is not possible and therefore should not be asked for. 'It is not in the cards' wink  as you would say. And I am sure nobody did. If there has been the slightest implication in that direction I would apologize in the most humble manner smile

It's only an avatar...
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi,

Sorry if I sounded angry or something similar, it's just that I feel so annoyed that the Moodle Mobile App is so plain and meaningless to those who what to brighten it up and it's not that easy to do, especially as most people who ask for help have no programming skills, which you need, if you want to do something with that APP.

Yes you are right there is a need to have a discussion, but this is not the place.

There is a Forum dedicated to the Mobile App, so perhaps I should question the developers who are working on the development of this APP, and ask if it is possible to marry the Moodle Mobile APP with whatever the default theme is that has been selected in a Moodle site?

I'll have a think about this, and add a link here, if I have courage to do such a things! LOL

Cheers

Mary

It's only an avatar...

OK, I have started the ball rolling...let's see where it leads!

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=367340

bangcomp.gif

Mary

Well, I would like to have more time and rights for css-coding… But this is another story. Programming the app, on the other hand, really exceeds my knowledge.

I apreciate your courage – in the sense that I hope that this 'ball' may be picked up in a very congenial manner smile

Xavier

Average of ratings: Useful (1)