General developer forum

Development and testing environment

Picture of Jesús de la Cruz
Development and testing environment

Good morning.

I need to develop a plugin and modify certain things on the platform, but I see myself with the inconvenience of not knowing how to connect it with a development environment and how to debug it to see what each variable gets out.
Does any of you have it ready? If so, how have you done it?

A greeting.

Average of ratings: -
Davo
Re: Development and testing environment
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers
Assuming you are developing your changes on a local computer and then deploying to the live server once complete (using git to manage those changes), I would recommend:

• Add xdebug to your local copy of PHP
  • Configure your IDE to allow debugging (I find PHPStorm is very straightforward for this, I am told that Eclipse and other IDEs also have this functionality)
  • (Optional) add xdebug helper to Google Chrome to make it easy to turn debugging on/off
  • Turn on debugging with xdebug helper, turn on listening in your IDE + add a breakpoint, refresh the page in your browser.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Richard Jones
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

XAMPP (if you're using Windows) is also easy to install and add a Moodle instance (or download the whole package from the downloads page here).

Then you can add xdebug for a variety of IDE's, some of which are free.  This is a good site:

https://gist.github.com/odan/1abe76d373a9cbb15bed

moi!!! it is what is is...
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Sorry, Richard, but I have to disagree, Xammp is not necessarily helpful in this instance. Best to try and recreate the production site as best you can, that way you are leaving much less to chance. Also, I understand that Xammp's more recent versions have a much bigger impact on Apache and PHP than they used to, if I am reading it right. As well, we cannot assume that Jesús' server is Apache, could be Mac or WinServer or even NginX. 

Richard Jones
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I'm intrigued.  

I sometimes develop locally on xampp (have also used mampp in the past) and sometimes develop and certainly test on a variety of linux servers and databases. One of the benefits of having some old laptops lying around.

As Moodle is cross-platform, server and database independent (isn't it?) I'm not seeing the issues and I don't understand clearly what you mean by "bigger impact".

Cheers

Richard

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I do a lot of development on a localhost laptop (or several different computers - using github to manage the code itself when I'm moving around) But I also have a final test system which is a (very close) mirror of the live site.

That's because, while most of the developments work with no issues at all, I have previously found problems when php settings are different, or even at one time different versions of php.

Also had an issue once where a piece of code I was given worked fine on my laptop (MySQL) but not in production (Postgres) because the original author had written specific MySQL code rather than using Moodle's data api. Now, OK that's an example of poor practice (especially when sharing code with others!), but also an example of something working on a development environment and not in production.

I should say though, that (in my experience) this is very rare and I've hardly ever had any such problems and know people who use XAMPP frequently as a local development tool with no issues (I use LAMP smile ), but I would recommend that at least final testing should be done on a system that as closely matches the production environment as is practical.

Potentially bigger (or at least more frequent) issues are caused by differences in the plugins installed on a dev/test system and the live production one as some plugins can cause clashes when installed together, so that a development that works fine on a clean local install breaks on production because of a clash with another plugin.

Picture of Marcus Green
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I have done much/most of my development on WAMP. However despite that I recommend developing on the same as your target machine (very commonly Linux). That way you tend to avoid permissions issues, case sensitivity issues and strange tiny differences that cannot possibly break things, yet somehow still do. 

Despite being committed to cross platform and intending only to use Moodle api stuff I have introduced bugs in code that broke a plugin on the SQL Server platform in the past.