Hide "Course total so far" as a default?

Hide "Course total so far" as a default?

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi,

almost none of our teachers are using the grading options in such a structured manner that  Course total so far makes any sense to any of the students or teachers. Also, it's difficult to make them understand and remember to switch of the column for the students. 

Is there a possibility to make Course total so far hidden as the default setting? I have searched the admin settings and this forum but cannot find any solution.

In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Hide "Course total so far" as a default?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So, my first reaction would be to say, why aren't your teachers using the grade-book in a manner that makes sense???  It is flexible enough to be set up so that it can make sense in about any situation.

There are a few things you could try - you could set the gradebook to not show totals if there are hidden items and then make sure that there is one hidden item in the course.  Perhaps you create an end of course activity that the teacher unhides at the end of the semester and then the grades will show?  You could just not show the gradebook to students and hide it all.  (I have never tried this but I think the individual activities might still show the grade for each activity.) You could maybe use CSS to hide the column altogether and then just unhide it on a set day but this would be site-wide.  

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Hide "Course total so far" as a default?

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Emma, that's a good question, but I also think is quite common among the moodle installations around the world that teacher's don't use the grading system in an all-the-way structured manner.

Our method now is as you suggest, to hide the statement to the students, and as you say, it's sit- wide so it's hidden also in courses using the system properly. I would have preferred a setting where one could choose the default.