Teaching with Moodle

Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?

Picture of Chris Kenniburg
Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

We've used a Glossary and asked the users to upload a photo and answer a few questions.  Then on the homepage of the course we used the "Random Glossary" block to display a new entry everytime the page refreshed.  With commenting turned on you could have students compliment or say hello to each other in the glossary entries.  

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
math
Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?
Particularly helpful Moodlers

And a small twist on this is to pair the students and have them interview and photograph each other and then post those interviews/images as glossary entries. I suggest this to elementary teachers for a "first week - getting to know us" activity - paired with the Random Glossary Entry block for student-of-the-day sort of thing - but it might work in Brian's situation.

David

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Brian Liu
回复: Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?

brilliant idea! 

How do you have such a creative thought? Is there any book or resource to recommend?

Making a random glossary to better make participants' connection is really something!

Average of ratings: -
math
Re: 回复: Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?

I am pretty sure that I got the idea from a MIchelle Moore presentation. Here is one of her SlideShares:

The Glossary Module: 10 Ways to Make This Old Dog Do New Tricks

https://www.slideshare.net/michelledmoore/the-glossary-module-moodles-swiss-army-knife

Check out slide # 16 (and the rest).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Re: 回复: Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?
Proves the simple fact that taking part (as participants) in on-line courses is a must before teaching on-line!

I know many educators who teach on-line but have never participated in an on-line course and not even thinking of doing so. Compare that situation with the analog world: How many hours has the average teacher spent in (brick-and-mortar) classrooms, before he started teaching (in a brick-and-mortar classroom)?

There are simply too many opportunities in taking part in online courses (whatever the subject matter). The easiest and the closest one for the Moodler ist the https://learn.moodle.net/ Moodle MOOC. It would be nice if the old-hands here could contribute to a list of other opportunities.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)