Teaching with Moodle

Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?

Picture of Brian Liu
Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?

I've creat a course and would like 50 participants to share experience and share ideas for a year and the first thing I want to try is to get people know each other more.

They've been asked to fill in there profile include photos, self introduction, etc.

If there's something like the database which may gather participants' information together and then maybe some place to make comment also?

Or do you know how to do this?

(I'm using Moodle 3.4.1)

Thanks!

Brian

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I use a pre-course assignment that requires students to introduce themselves, upload a file (photo), attend to their Moodle profile (photo), and fill out a Study Survey.

The "Introduce yourself" task shows students what a Moodle forum is.  The "Upload" task shows students how to use Moodle's assignment submission method.  The "Student Survey" shows students how to use a Moodle quiz.  Once the student finishes this pre-course work, they know how to use my Moodle.  (I do not use the Database activity in my courses.)

Here is an example for one of my courses.

Below is a screenshot of how students see this in my Moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
Picture of Brian Liu
回复: Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

It's been quite helpful and I'm gonna try using a introduce yourself forum.

One question is is it possible to utilize the self introduction information in profile automatically somehow? Or maybe put back those information into the profile automatically somehow? 

Same with the submit a Photo assignment activity.

I'm trying to make a quiz now and will see how to use it here.

BTW, I saw the "checklist" module you are using and I installed it and made a checklist for trainee moodle on-boarding checklist and feel it helpful, thanks for sharing the screenshot!

Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: 回复: Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?

I don't know of any way to put forum response information into a profile.

Same thing about the upload a photo.  I find that students to not put a lot of care into uploading their profile photo.  I almost always have to take their "upload a photo" picture, edit it, and then put it into their profile myself.  Yep, takes a little time, but it does show students a the beginning of the course that "I care."

I started using the "Checklist" before I knew about the internal "activity completion" tool.  So I use both, and find that some students prefer one over the other, some students use both, and some students use neither.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Matt Bury
Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Brian,

Your question sounds to me like you'd like to cultivate social presence (Rourke, Anderson, Garrison, & Archer 2001) on your course.

Getting students to complete their profiles in Moodle is a good start but in order to get them to build familiarity with and trust in each other so that they feel comfortable with and motivated to take the time to share their thoughts and ideas with each other, there's a lot more work to be done.

Personally, I'd suggest integrating student-student interaction with course activities. There's a range of strategies for doing this, e.g. setting open-ended forum discussions and short collaborative projects/assignments.

I think it's important for teaching and support staff to cultivate an atmosphere that's conducive and welcoming to students sharing their thoughts and ideas, and also with the minimum of risk and inconvenience. Since many (most?) students are unfamiliar with how you expect them to conduct themselves and participate (i.e. using educational forums is very different to using social media and informal forums), it can be very helpful to them to model how you'd like students to ask and answer questions, share thoughts and ideas, discuss, etc.. I start with quite intensive involvement, welcoming posts, sometimes responding, often inviting other students to respond, linking to information which supports students' particular arguments, etc., and then gradually participating less and less while the students get more comfortable and confident with their forum participation. I also let students know that this is what I'll do ahead of time, i.e. model -> scaffold -> fade away, which is an underlying feature of cognitive apprenticeship (Collins, Brown, & Newman, 1987), so that they understand that they will have to take over the responsibilities that I'm modelling for them.

Ideally, collaborative activities should be low-stakes but a requirement, e.g. allocate a significant percentage of the final course grade to students' participation (10%+ However, higher percentages can be justified if the course curriculum has teamwork and collaboration skills as part of the intended learning outcomes). You'll also need to decide ahead of time how you're going to grade students' participation so that it has the maximum beneficial effect on learning, collaboration, and motivation. There are some more formal, evidence-informed ways of doing this (e.g. Loughry, Ohland, & Woehr, 2014).

In the spirit of sharing,

Matt

References

Loughry, M. L., Ohland, M. W. and Woehr, D. J. (2014) ‘Assessing Teamwork Skills for Assurance of Learning Using CATME Team Tools’, Journal of Marketing Education, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 5–19 [Online]. DOI: 10.1177/0273475313499023.

Collins, A., Brown, J. S. and Newman, S. E. (1987) Cognitive Apprenticeship: Teaching the craft of reading, writing, and mathematics (Technical Report No. 403), Technical, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign [Online]. Available at https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/17958/ctrstreadtechrepv01987i00403_opt.pdf?sequence=1 (Accessed 12 June 2014).

Rourke, L., Anderson, T. Garrison, D. R., & Archer, W. (2001). Assessing social presence in asynchronous, text-based computer conferencing. Journal of Distance Education, 14(3), 51-70.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
Picture of Brian Liu
回复: Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?

Thanks for your sharing!

I'm checking into those articles you linked and found it very helpful.

I'll try grading participation, make more student-student interaction as well.

Ricardo Caiado

Hi Matt,

The link "Assessing social presence in asynchronous, text-based computer conferencing" seems to be broken.

"Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at auspace.athabascau.ca:8080."

http://auspace.athabascau.ca:8080/dspace/bitstream/2149/732/1/Assessing Social Presence In Asynchronous Text-based Computer Conferencing.pdf

Ricardo

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Assessing Social Presence In Asynchronous Text-based Computer Conferencing

Ricardo Caiado
Re: Assessing Social Presence In Asynchronous Text-based Computer Conferencing

Thanks... It worked out!

Picture of Chris Kenniburg
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

We've used a Glossary and asked the users to upload a photo and answer a few questions.  Then on the homepage of the course we used the "Random Glossary" block to display a new entry everytime the page refreshed.  With commenting turned on you could have students compliment or say hello to each other in the glossary entries.  

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
math

And a small twist on this is to pair the students and have them interview and photograph each other and then post those interviews/images as glossary entries. I suggest this to elementary teachers for a "first week - getting to know us" activity - paired with the Random Glossary Entry block for student-of-the-day sort of thing - but it might work in Brian's situation.

David

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Brian Liu

brilliant idea! 

How do you have such a creative thought? Is there any book or resource to recommend?

Making a random glossary to better make participants' connection is really something!

math
Re: 回复: Re: Is there approach to make all participants in a course to get to know each other?

I am pretty sure that I got the idea from a MIchelle Moore presentation. Here is one of her SlideShares:

The Glossary Module: 10 Ways to Make This Old Dog Do New Tricks

https://www.slideshare.net/michelledmoore/the-glossary-module-moodles-swiss-army-knife

Check out slide # 16 (and the rest).

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Proves the simple fact that taking part (as participants) in on-line courses is a must before teaching on-line!

I know many educators who teach on-line but have never participated in an on-line course and not even thinking of doing so. Compare that situation with the analog world: How many hours has the average teacher spent in (brick-and-mortar) classrooms, before he started teaching (in a brick-and-mortar classroom)?

There are simply too many opportunities in taking part in online courses (whatever the subject matter). The easiest and the closest one for the Moodler ist the https://learn.moodle.net/ Moodle MOOC. It would be nice if the old-hands here could contribute to a list of other opportunities.

Troy Patterson

Moodle has several options for this. I've written up 5 ways for Students to say "Hi" over on my personal blog. I love this feature. As usual, it depends on what you want. 

Please check out the link. Any questions or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Average of ratings: Useful (6)
Picture of Sam Mudle

This one is probably my favorite way for students to introduce themselves. Set up a Glossary, and then let the students add in information. Each student would enter their own name as the “term” and then whatever information that you want as the definition. Can be used with the Random Glossary Block to display a student name for other students in the “side bar”

Hey! That's a great idea. So simple.  I would suggest that the DISPLAY FORMAT of that glossary be set to ENCYCLOPEDIA so that the images show.

Troy Patterson

You are correct. That is the setting that I use.