Unable to install anything on Moodle

Unable to install anything on Moodle

by Naveen Srivastava -
Number of replies: 5
Hello!

I have just installed Moodle on my Godaddy server, and I am unable to install any plugin/theme on Moodle. This is the stack trace:

Stack trace: 
  • line 618 of /lib/setuplib.php: Error thrown
  • line 1504 of /lib/setuplib.php: call to generate_uuid()
  • line 1640 of /lib/setuplib.php: call to make_unique_writable_directory()
  • line 1660 of /lib/setuplib.php: call to get_request_storage_directory()
  • line 119 of /lib/classes/update/code_manager.php: call to make_request_directory()
  • line 1071 of /lib/classes/plugin_manager.php: call to core\update\code_manager->get_remote_plugin_zip()
  • line 1252 of /lib/classes/plugin_manager.php: call to core_plugin_manager->get_remote_plugin_zip()
  • line 2422 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to core_plugin_manager->install_plugins()
  • line 62 of /admin/tool/installaddon/index.php: call to upgrade_install_plugins()
Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Naveen Srivastava

Re: Unable to install anything on Moodle

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

More details needed for anyone to help.  What version of Moodle?  Hosted server or VPS?  Linux or Windows?  Did you verify that all Moodle requirements are met by your server?  How did you attempt to install Moodle?  Is your new Moodle running and just can't install themes?  Do you see all "OKs" if you go to Admin, Server, Environment?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Naveen Srivastava -

1. Moodle 3.4

2. Godaddy Business Hosting plan: cPanel with Linux

3. PHP Version 7

4. All requirements were met, I used one click installation from Applications browser of cPanel.

5. Moodle is running fine, I can create courses and content. I am just not able to install any plugin/theme.

6. Yes, I see no other isssue and problem in Admin, Server, Environment.

by Rick Jerz -

Your problem is most likely related to #4, the one-click install.  When you use these installers, you never know what they do behind the scenes.  My best guess is that the installer forgot to do something.  Or, maybe whoever wrote the installer disabled the ability to add plugins!  Maybe they have found that their installer gets bad reviews when people start dabbling with the installer's methods?

Well, consider installing another (experimental) copy of Moodle manually.  Then once installed, you will be able to see if you can get to other themes.

(Incidentally, I have Moodle 3.4 running on my GoDaddy VPS.  No problems, I am able to add plugins and change themes.  I always install Moodle manually, however.)

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Naveen Srivastava -

Thank you for the help and advice. I will definitely try that and see if I can get it working. I was afraid I will have to do it manually, but I wanted to avoid this. But well...I see there is not much option left.

by Rick Jerz -

Don't be afraid.  It is nothing to need to avoid.  Once you do the install manually, you will wonder why you were so afraid.

You seem to have Moodle 3.4 currently running, so it would appear to me that your required pieces are in place (php7, and the correct versions of MySQL and Moodle.

Here's the quickie for installing Moodle.

1) Create the database.  Go to cPanel, MySQL Databases, create a database, create a user, add user to database.

2) In cPanel|Filemanger, create a moodledata folder and change its permissions to 777.

3) Download Moodle, move it to public_html, unpack it into its own folder.

4) Go to www.yourdomain.com/moodlefolder, and install.

That's about it.  Four steps.

(Realistically, there are just a few details to worry about, but nothing major since you have Moodle already running.  But, for example, moodledata needs to be before your public_html folder and named something you can remember.)

The key is that you can experiment with these four steps without destroying your website.  Also, it is helpful to read the Moodle installation docs so that you become familiar with the terminology.

Have you gone into Site Admin|Notifications to verify that you really do have Moodle 3.4 running?