Classes and peer assessment

Classes and peer assessment

by Claire Wicher -
Number of replies: 3

Hello.

I've recently setup a Moodle site to deliver the A-Level Computer Science course to my students. I have two classes, and for the most part they share content. I want to issue them more essay style questions, and use peer assessment to grade. I have started setting this up using the workshop module and I am waiting for my first lot of trial submissions.

In the meantime I have been considering how to assess. The two classes I see on different days in the week, so they're deadlines for submission are different. I'm worried this will prevent me from moving on to assessment properly.

I would also like to find a way for assessment to be done by only students in the same class.

Can someone please recommend a way of splitting my users into the two classes, and having them submit work seperately? I can setup two workshop activities, but not sure how to split the students and ensure they see only their workshop activity.

Many thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Claire Wicher

Re: Classes and peer assessment

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Put your students into groups - See Groups and then you can either set the workshop to separate groups (in its setting) so that they will assess only those in their group  - but you would have to wait for both classes to submit before you could move to the next phase

OR use Restrict access to restrict visibility of two workshops to each respective group (ie class)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Éric Bugnet -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi,

I see no simple solution... I suggest :

1. Make 2 students groups (1 & 2).
  2. Create a workshop.
  3. Duplicate your workshop with different dates
  4. With conditionnal activity :
  • group 1 can see and access only workshop 1
  • group 2 can see and access only workshop 2

Eric

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Éric Bugnet

by Claire Wicher -

Thanks both for your responses, Eric I think I'll need to use that route. While not ideal it does solve my problem!