Block management

Block management

by Emmanuel Leclerc -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I would like to be able to use the 'Quickmail' block, I have installed it according to the instructions, it is installed properly, but how to add that block now?
When I am on Dashboard / Site administration / Plugins / Blocks / Manage blocks, I can see there are a lot of blocks that are supposed to be visible, but I cannot see them when I click on 'Add block' (for instance Quickmail, Flickr...

How to add the Quickmail block ?

Thank you in advance !

Emmanuel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emmanuel Leclerc

Re: Block management

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Site administration > Plugins > Plugins overview

Is it in the list somewhere? It's not 'disabled' is it?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Emmanuel Leclerc -

It's in the list and it is enabled.

Attachment Clipboard01.jpg

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Silly question - perhaps, but are you *sure* the Quickmail block hasn't already been added to the course?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I haven't used the Quickmail block but I get the impression it is for use within a course - are you  trying to add it to the dashboard - perhaps that is why you are unable to add it?

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Blocks are content sensitive and certain blocks can only be added in certain places.The Flickr and YouTube blocks, for example, can only be added to Tags pages and show content relevant to the particular tag. This is documented at https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Blocks

The Quickmail plugin page says it is for bulk emailing within courses.

From a quick look at the code, it appears that students can only view the block in the course context, but the site admin can add it to the front page, their dashboard, and courses.

if(is_siteadmin($USER->id) || has_capability('block/quickmail:myaddinstance', context_system::instance())) {
            return array('site' => true, 'my' => true, 'course-view' => true);
        } else {
            return array('site' => false, 'my' => false, 'course-view' => true);
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Emmanuel Leclerc -

It works ! Yes, I discovered that some blocks could be added only when you are in a course...

Thank you !