Removing bottom navigation links

Removing bottom navigation links

by Tricia Alexander -
Number of replies: 2

Is there a way to remove or deactivate the navigation links that appear at the bottom of the pages, activities, etc..??  

These can be VERY confusing for people, especially when a topic contains an activity or book with multiple sections and a person uses those bottom links instead of following through the activity itself.  I have had several people complain of missing parts of an assignment because of clicking those bottom nav links and being taken to the 'next topic' instead of the next section of the activity.  

Of course this can be a process that is learned over time, but those links are serving no purpose for us and only add to confusion.

If it is possible to remove them, I would sure love to know how.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tricia Alexander

Re: Removing bottom navigation links

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

On the Fordson theme you can hack the columns2.mustache file and remove this line:

https://github.com/dbnschools/moodle-theme_fordson/blob/master/templates/columns2.mustache#L103

{{{ output.activity_navigation }}}

That is what brings in the navigation for Boost-based themes.  Look for it in the template files of your theme.

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Removing bottom navigation links

by Tricia Alexander -

Thank you so much on several levels.. LOL..  I had only looked into the themes provided with the Moodle and had not ventured into plug-ins.

I did look into Fordson, since you suggested this fix.  I think this theme will work much better for our class and have set it up.

Now, as for changing the file, I am very new to all of this and I assumed this file would be located in my server with the rest of my Moodle files.  I went there and went into the themes and the templates, as you said but I could not locate anything related to the Fordson theme in my server.  I know I have it set up because my course is now using it.  

I did find the file you were referring to in the main boost theme and even found the line you said to remove, but since you said this was the way to do it in the Fordson theme, I didn't want to remove it from the boost theme on my server until I checked to make sure I was in the correct place and doing the correct thing.. LOL

I also went into development in the Moodle site itself and found the line you referred to, but I do not see how to edit/remove anything in there.  Sorry for being so novice at this. Learning as I go.

Also, could you tell me where to get assistance with a couple of things in the Fordson theme?  When I use the theme that creates an upper image and a main background image, the main background image gets embedded behind the upper image and I have a dog with no head on my lower background.. LOL...  Would love to fix that if I can also.

Thanks so much for your assistance.