Who is using Moodle with MS-SQL Server?

Re: Who is using Moodle with MS-SQL Server?

by Jon Witts -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

We are using this method for connecting to our MS SQL server for External Auth and External DB Enrolment https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/developer-get-started/php/windows/step/2.html

It seems stable; is this still going to be available in Moodle 3.5?

Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

We've been using MSSQL with moodle since 2011. We've gone back and forth a bit between the freetds and MS sqlsrv drivers.

With 3.1 and previous there's an issue with large backups related to session tables for sqlsrv which I think gets resolved in 3.3. We'll be using sqlsrv with PHP 7 when we upgrade to 3.5 later this year.

Using MSSQL used to be a problem with earlier versions of moodle -- especially 3rd party plugins, which often used db-specific sql; but in recent years we haven't had any real issues.

We use MSSQL because it's the supported platform at our college, and it allows us to focus on moodle admin and not have to do db admin as well. As a benefit we can do cross-db queries for integration and reporting relatively easily.

In reply to Gregor McNish

by Joseph Senare -

Good day Everybody,

I want to run Moodle 3.4 on a Windows Server 2012 R12, my Company doesn't support MySQL, but support MS SQL. I just want to know if there are known issues with regards to this database, if there are, what issues are there and how can we overcome those type of issues?

Kind regards

Joseph Senare

Software Developer

joseph.senare@sita.co.za