Moodle, themes and maintenance

Moodle, themes and maintenance

by Ziggy C -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I don't currently use Moodle but we are looking to implement an LMS in my organisation. I wanted to know how much maintenance/updates are required with themes?

We will most likely get a company to build the moodle site for us but will then maintain it ourselves. We have staff able to do standard updates but we would like to add a theme (which we would need to maintain ourselves). How much work and knowledge is needed to maintain a theme?

Once its loaded, can you just leave it or do you need to keep checking updates/fixes etc?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ziggy C

Re: Moodle, themes and maintenance

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The thing with themes is that although they use most if not all of the code that makes Moodle work, they add to it too, in the form of extras to make things more appealing with some settings, layouts, etc. So most of the look will need to come from yourselves, what YOU want, what is best for your students. In other words make a theme work the way you want it to.

Generally if you download a theme you like, with a bit of luck the author of the theme will maintain it as and when needed, or fix bugs that people report. On the other hand it may not be updated as quickly as one would like and may actually need crowd funding to update/improve before you get a new version. The latter is to be expected as this kind of theme is one of the most popular and the author needs to make a living.

If you are getting a company to set Moodle up for you then you may as well go to a Moodle Partner and pay them to make a theme to your specifications.

I learnt how to make a Moodle theme from scratch, and have learned quite a lot about Moodle and Moodle Themes over the last decade. Time is the thing with themes, you can be working on one for weeks on end, tweaking it, fixing bugs, which can in some case be therapeutic...on the other hand it can be totally frustrating if things go wrong. So as well as time you also need lots of patience.

Well that is my take on it.

Hope it helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Ziggy C -

Thank you for your detailed reply. Very useful information. Thanks.

In reply to Ziggy C

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you stick to a core theme such as Boost and then focus on just changing the colours and so forth using the settings, the Preset tool and the custom scss functions available, then your maintenance would be limited as the core theme would be updated with any full Moodle update you carry out.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Ziggy C -

Thanks for this info. Will make sure to only look into the core themes just to be safer in the long run hopefully.

In reply to Ziggy C

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There will be only one core theme worth using as the others are being depreciated. 

So any BOOST theme should be OK from now on...

Cheers Mary