Can't access Moodle out of LAN

Can't access Moodle out of LAN

by Joe Gill -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

I am running Moodle Version 3.4.1 on a Debian 9.3 server running Apache2.  I can access it just fine inside my LAN.  We have the firewall directing traffic from our external IP on port 80 to our internal Moodle address.  When I navigate to my outside address (IP), my web browser re-directs me to my internal address and it times out.  We currently have not registered a domain name for our external IP and would like to use our outside IP to access Moodle until we get our domain registered. 

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Joe

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Gill

Re: Can't access Moodle out of LAN

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I suspect that "...currently have not registered a domain name for our external IP..." would be the problem. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Joe Gill -

I figured it out...  I did some more digging and read the config-dist.php file in Moodle.  I ended up registering our IP with a no-ip.com.  That worked!  Now I can at least further test things out of the district.  Then I'll get things set up properly with our own FQDN. 

Thanks folks for making me think more! Sometimes that's all it takes. 

For those reading this thread for an answer...  You need a FQDN in order to use Moodle outside of your LAN. Use a free service like No-IP.com to do this and it will work.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Joe Gill -

I figured it out...  I did some more digging and read the config-dist.php file in Moodle.  I ended up registering our IP with a no-ip.com.  That worked!  Now I can at least further test things out of the district.  Then I'll get things set up properly with our own FQDN. 

Thanks folks for making me think more! Sometimes that's all it takes. 

For those reading this thread for an answer...  You need a FQDN in order to use Moodle outside of your LAN. Use a free service like No-IP.com to do this and it will work.

Read this for more info...

https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Configuration_file#Setting_.24CFG-.3Ewwwroot_correctly