Error in Adding Users

Error in Adding Users

by Amba Ilondo -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I am receiving an error when I try to add a user.

Please help sad

Attachment error.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amba Ilondo

Re: Error in Adding Users

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello and thanks for posting here smile

Do you use custom user profile fields at all?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Amba Ilondo -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your prompt reply! smile

Yes I do use custom profile fields.  Is this wrong?

In reply to Amba Ilondo

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello! No it's not wrong at all; just that there was a bug with custom profile fields and adding new users MDL-60824 - if you can upgrade your site, that would  fix it.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Amba Ilondo -

Hi Mary,

I am still very new with Moodle. Do you know how I can upgrade my site?

silly question sorry

In reply to Amba Ilondo

by Mary Cooch -

Hello. It is not a silly question at all - and upgrading your site is quite hard if you are new to Moodle or not technical. Do you absolutely need to have the custom profile fields? Are you able to remove them and add users then? If not, then look at the documentation on Upgrading and ask questions in the Installing and upgrading help forum

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Amba Ilondo -

Hi Mary,

Great thank you! I am glad that it is a not a silly question that I don't know how to upgrade Moodle. LOL.

I do in in fact need the user profiles for my company. It helps us to identify each employee's profile.

I will try o do some upgrading next week.

Thank you so much for your help.

smile

In reply to Amba Ilondo

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Amba, make sure you have a backup of both your database AND the moodledata directory before you try to update anything. Upgrading for the first time is always a scary thing, but it is actually quite easy, once you know how and are confident with it. 

I would seriously suggest that if you have access to a standalone desktop or an unused laptop that you install a Moodle on. You will need to set up an Apache Server, PHP, a database, MariaDB, MySQL or PostGreSQL, the same as your existing database, and then install a Moodle. Make it as close as you can to your Company Moodle. If you can, restore the backup of your database to this Moodle, as well as your courses and everything else you can think of. Your Network support staff may help you do all this. BTW, you can set this up on the same server as your Company Moodle, but your Network support staff might not like it. Make sure it is easily identifiable as your Moodle, or differentiated from your Company Moodle, colour, themes anyway that works.

Two things, 1. make sure that no-one else can access it, you're the only one. 2. Make sure you set a cookie prefix, just in case.  

This is the one you use to test things out in. If you break it, it doesn't matter, rebuild it all and start again. Practice will help you fix things before they damage your Company site.  I can also tell you that if you do this right, you will look like a genius to your boss, because your Company Moodle always works..smile  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Amba Ilondo -

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Sorry my late reply we had,  we had some really bad weather last week. I couldn't make it to the office. Thank you for the recommendation, I am not sure if I would be able to do it. I will ask my IT team as they are the ones who back up the server for me.

Again thank you very much.