Gradebook: Setting to show unenrolled users if they gained grades

Gradebook: Setting to show unenrolled users if they gained grades

by Kathrin Osswald -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I've searched here in the forums and in the tracker but found no real related topic / issue. 

This topic is about the displaying of unenrolled users that got some grades and I first describe some of our use cases.

Perquisites:

At our institution (a university) a teacher can apply for a Moodle course for his lecture. Then students who want to attend the lecture can self-enrol into the course. 

Case 1:

Some students participate some weeks and get some grades until they decide that they don't want to attend the lecture anymore. Those students may unenrol from the course again. In this case the student won't appear at no place in the course anymore. The teacher also does not get a notice (event monitoring is not working well enough) that a student left his course.

Most of the teachers export the participants list a the beginning of the lecture term and this list and the gradebook differ. Moreover, it is difficult for the teacher to identify those students who left the course by comparing his shadow list with the current gradebook or particpants list for several hundred students.

Case 2:

A student finished the lecture successfully. As he does not want to have so many courses in his "My courses" list, he decides to unenrol from this course. 

Again: the teacher gets no notification that the student left the course and also disappeared from the gradebook. The main problem is that we have retention periods for test performances. If the teacher did not export the gradebook right after the course was finished and kept such a shadow copy, it seems that he cannot access the grades anymore.

(Of course we know that there is the setting "recovergradesdefault" which is also turned on in our instance, but our teachers don't know). And it also does not heal the fact that the grades are not visible anymore as soon as a user unenrolled.).

For us, it is important that our teachers and students can rely on the gradebook, because we are happy when teachers use Moodle for this.

And therefore, we think that a setting to show both, active and unenrolled (with at least one grade) students would help teacher to keep the overview over their students and the grades and it would make it possible for students to unenrol from courses whilst their grades are still available for the teacher.

A student who is unenrolled could be represented like this:

•  The line could be entirely grayed out
  • He can be labeled as unenrolled

Although this would help our instution, we're not quite sure if we are the only ones who would benefit from such a setting.

So, I would like to hear, what you think about this.

Best, Kathrin 

In reply to Kathrin Osswald

Re: Gradebook: Setting to show unenrolled users if they gained grades

by Jan Dageförde -

Hi Kathrin,

I think this is a reasonable setting. As a teacher, I would expect to be able to see all grades that I have given to a student within a given course, regardless of whether the student is still enrolled. After all, students could ask me for a certificate (or other kind of written confirmation) about their achievements in my course, even if they do not take part in the Moodle course anymore.

So, +1 from me. I also support the idea of clearly labelling unenrolled users in gradebook, and maybe a filter to exclude such rows from the view if teachers really only want to focus on present students.

Cheers,
Jan

by Barbara Braun -
Yep. This is a good idea. We had these questions, too.
One thing we need to keep an eye on is what happens when the student re-enrols.
Option A - starts with old grades
Option B - starts with no grades
Option C - may choose
BR
Barbara

by Anja Schreiber -

Hi,

since we had a similar question lately, I also think this is a good idea.

To mark the unenroled students I'd prefer a label to a grayed out line, though. The more obvious the better in my experience wink

Cheers,

Anja