Theme Boost - Switch role to: Move this feature to the course context

Theme Boost - Switch role to: Move this feature to the course context

by Kathrin Osswald -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

currently, the switch role to feature is located in the user menu and therefore in the user context.

We think that this feature is primarily course related as the user switches the role to see how his course looks when bearing another role. So we think this feature should be moved from the user menu to the course menu.

This is how it could look like:

Furthermore, the information that the course is currently viewed with another role is quite small in the user menu and could be overseen easily.

So, another more eye catching hint directly within the course would improve the current view state.

This is how it could look like:

What do you think about this?

(See: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-60704)

I post it to this forum as I'm interested in your opinion and thoughts about this feature.

Best, Kathrin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kathrin Osswald

Re: Theme Boost - Switch role to: Move this feature to the course context

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Thanks for posting this in the Themes forum.

This kind of request is known as an IMPROVEMENT and as such needs to be addressed by Moodle HQ. To get the ball rolling so to speak it would be better to open a ticket to make a suggestion for this in Moodle Tracker.

Once you have done that just add the MDL- ticket number here for example: MDL-12345

which will then automatically link to the issue in the Moodle Tracker.

In the mean time you may or may not get some replies here.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Kathrin Osswald -

Hi Mary,

thanks for the hint, however I already created a Tracker issue and posted it below my copied text from the tracker issue:

(See: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-60704)

I thought I would reach more opinions here in the forum than on the tracker, because often the HQ guys say, that things need to be discussed in the forum.

Best, Kathrin

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I tend to agree with the others.  For me, it is very quick and easy now to switch roles with the current locations.  Yes, occasionally, I go off and start doing something else and forget that I am in a student role but it is so quick to switch back that it does not bother me.  I would be concerned that if it was only applied at the course level, that if you switched to another area of the site (messaging/profile) you would not really know what role you were in...

Also, your example only really applies to course level roles...what if you switch to a manager role for example...

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Your post puzzled me.  When I want to switch roles, I drop down the choices from my profile ID in the upper right.  This made me wonder if what you are seeing is influenced by your theme.  I am running Boost in Moodle 3.4.

For me, I prefer my changed role being noted below my name by my profile picture.  Your suggestion consumes more screen real estate.  Sure, maybe some instructors need something more visible.  Somehow, I recall that other LMSs like Canvas take up more space on the screen when in student view.  Actually, this bothers me in Canvas.

Attachment switch role.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Kathrin Osswald -

Hi Rick,

we removed this menu item completely from the user menu and moved the functionality solely into the course context as proposed here.

Best, Kathrin

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Okay, Kathrin.  Well, I can change my role in three clicks.  I am not sure that I am seeing your proposed method as being any faster or more efficient.  I am not trying to discredit your proposal, but I am simply not seeing the advantage in order for me to support it.

However, I am not at a big school and running moodle for other instructors, I run my own moodle for myself.  So sometimes I lose track of what the common instructor faces with moodle, and the challenges for administrators.

For me, yes, I do switch to "student" role about a half-dozen times each week, and I like the current method of dropping down my profile, and in three clicks I am "student," and I see this designation by my profile picture.  In two clicks I am back to myself.  I also find myself logging in as a student about 3-4 times per week, and I like that I see this designation by my profile picture.  So for me, if I ever wonder who I am, I look at the same location on my screen... the profile photo area.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I prefer it where it is in the User menu  - a personal opinion maybe, but I don't only use the switch roles function for looking at that one course, but for more general testing, possibly across a few courses, which may be linked together and be worked on at the same time. That means that, for me at least, looking for a 'switch roles to' function in a course setting rather than as a user function (in the user menu) would be counter intuitive.

I think the proposal to move it to the course settings addresses one kind of use case, and probably would be beneficial to that use, but on the whole, a role switch (to my mind) is a user function not a course function and should be part of my options as a user, rather than a course option.

Where would the 'return to my role' link go then?

If I navigate to a different course would the switched role still be applied?

Would I have to return to the same course to return to my own role?