Adding a non course based forum

Adding a non course based forum

by Simon Dunant -
Number of replies: 2

Hi All

I've created an e-learning site for my company using Moodle and I'm trying to figure out how to add some interactivity into it for our users.

I've read all the documentation and some books about using forums in Moodle and they all seem to discuss adding forums to individual courses, however I'd like the ability to have a general forum where people can communicate but I can't see how I might be able to create this.

I understand the concept of adding forums to each course, however as I am the sole teacher / administrator for all of the courses in our Moodle site, so don't like the thought of having to check each course forum individually for new questions.

Has anyone here used Moodle with a single 'site' forum, and if so how have they implemented this

Thanks in advance for any advice - using Moodle 3.3 with Adaptable theme if this is relevant.

Kind regards

Simon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Dunant

Re: Adding a non course based forum

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Simon,

There are two ways you could consider: 

1. Create a new course with Single Activity = Forum as format and enable selfenrolment in the role of student. This way, you'll have a course but it'll behave as a forum for all purposes.

2. Create a forum on the site home page for all users on your Moodle. Set it up so it works the way you want it to. The site home page is also considered to be a course, but doesn't require enrolment there as it is accessible for all users at all times.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

Re: Adding a non course based forum

by Simon Dunant -

Thanks Joost,

I didn't realise the home page is effectively a course, now I have that in mind I think option 2 would work.

Appreciate the time taken to provide such a helpful answer!

Greetings to you in NL from the UK too, I spent 5 years working as an expat there, know Eindhoven well as I visited the Papagai bird sanctuary near there (in Veldhoven) often. 

Have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Best

Simon