Moodle 3.4 adds blank page to annotate PDF - has this been fixed?

Moodle 3.4 adds blank page to annotate PDF - has this been fixed?

by Jason Touw -
Number of replies: 5

I am running 3.4 and finally got annotate PDF to work.  However, it is adding a blank page to the start of every submitted document, does not matter if it is docx, rtf, pdf.  So a 5 page submission becomes 6 pages with a blank first page.

I searched and found MDL-59772 which referenced this issue in Moodle 3.2.  Status is incomplete and closed.  Do we think this was corrected in Moodle 3.4 or are others out there experiencing this problem?

Of note is that we do not use unoconv; we use the Google text converter with ghostscript.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Touw

Re: Moodle 3.4 adds blank page to annotate PDF - has this been fixed?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Might not be pertinent, but the only one of my sites using Google for conversion is on Moodle 3.3.3, and is working as expected, without generating any extra blank pages.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Ozano Rokov -

Hello,

We are currently using Moodle 3.4 and are having the "blank page" problem when it comes to the Annotate PDF feature. Currently, no doc conversion option is set, so everything I tested is a PDF file but with no luck. Any pdf documents submitted for grading are always seen as one blank page. Are there any updates regarding this issue?

Thx

In reply to Ozano Rokov

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Why do you not have a document converter?  While this shouldn't be necessary for a pdf submission, maybe it is...try enabling the google converter...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Ozano Rokov -

Hi again,

Tried both google doc and unoconv and now I can at least see the documents (yay). The only problem is, as mentioned in previous posts, initial page is added as blank, and from what I've seen that issue is still open.

In reply to Ozano Rokov

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Because you did not have a convertor enabled, your first grading attempt for submissions in the assignment got a blank page. You will continue to get the blank page until you either create a new assignment with new submissions, or resubmit other documents to be converted in your current assignment. Student cannot just resubmit the same document, needs to be a different one. Otherwise Moodle will keep giving you the blank page.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)