Clear instructions for fresh Server 2003 using IIS

Clear instructions for fresh Server 2003 using IIS

by ztechguy Z -
Number of replies: 5
I was wondering where I could find some good instructions on installing moodle on server 2003 using IIS 6.  I have spent quite some time myself getting the install to work and have not been very successful. 

Questions like what kinds of permissions and so on would be helpful.

Help Me Please......
Average of ratings: -
In reply to ztechguy Z

Re: Clear instructions for fresh Server 2003 using IIS

by Thomas Haynes -
Jason...

First step is to install php and make sure it is working.

These are pretty good instructions for the php install on iis6.

Does the test.php from this page load and provide php info?

Regards...   Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by ztechguy Z -

Tom,

Wow, thanks for the setup, I will give this a try.  I do know that my problems were starting because I did not have PHP installed correctly.

In reply to ztechguy Z

by Thomas Haynes -
Jason...

We have talked about moving to a Windows platform here. At present I am the only linux guy on campus, and thus the Moodle installation does not pass the #9 bus test. If the #9 bus were to take me out as I crossed the street one day, the project would die on the vine.

I have done a test install on a 64-bit windows 2003 iis6 machine, and it all worked pretty well. We have a number of other php/mysql things installed, and for our environment, we did not go with version 5 of either php or mysql. These worked with Moodle however.

I installed Zend Optimizer as well, and that helped performance. At the time we were doing the test install, I think the Optimizer did not work with php5.

Have fun...   Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by ztechguy Z -

Tom,

I have had fun, but have not gotten very far.  Unfortunately I was installing the PHP from home remotely over christmas so I could not check it's configuration from the console as stated in the directions above.  I got desperate and tried the easyPHP and I cannot get the admin page to pop up, gets kicked back to the root easy php page saying it cannot find the directory.  I must not have the config.php file correctly configured to my root directory.

I'll try some tinkering tomorrow again at school but I am wondering what the pros and cons of using something like easyphp vs regular PHP and MySQL are?  Are there big security issues between the two?  Because obviously you have more control over the setup of regular php, just harder to accomplish.

Did I understand that you used PHP and MYSQL seperate with IIS 6 and have a functioning moodle page?  Do you have any experience with the easyPHP?

Jason

In reply to ztechguy Z

by Thomas Haynes -

Jason...

I have the php installed as an isapi module with iis6 and mysql installed. It all works well with Moodle (and phpESP, and phpmyadmin). This is on a 2003 server machine.

I have never really messed with the easyphp really. I installed it on my laptop before to play around, but it is not on the current image. I have been a linux guy for the most part.

Currently on the laptop, I have Apache2, php4, and mysql4 installed and running a trial moodle install, but I did not install those as part of a prerolled package. I have php running as a module in Apache. This is a XP Pro machine.

As I understand it, you don't want php to run in cgi mode for production use. there are supposed to be security issues, and it is not supposed to scale well. The designer authentication on phpESP does not work in cgi mode for sure.

Good luck...   Tom