Testing

Testing

by pgmoodle dundee -
Number of replies: 3

Hello everyone. In the organisation where I work we are planning to upgrade Moodle 2.9 to version  3.4. I am interested in any testing involved before and after the new version goes live. Could someone recommend or post a list of the things that need tested? My list at present is: 

- integrations - FBS
- moodle activities - forums, survey, questioannaire
- moodle resources - books, pages, office documents
- blocks

I wonder if I am missing something important?

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to pgmoodle dundee

Re: Testing

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can run the acceptance tests if you are brave - https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Running_acceptance_test

Failing that, Moodle is a huge application and you more or less have to trust that someone else has tested everything properly.

By all means check that it "works" and that anything you have configured or is critical to you is ok. That is, check your mail sends, check your cron runs, check your authentication works. 

If all this is ok then Forum (and friends) should be fine. 

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

My guess is that the greatest change will be involving your theme and theme related issues.  If you are using custom CSS in your current theme, you will want to test every piece again.

If you are running third-party plugins for 2.9, check to make sure that they work in 3.4.

Of what you listed, my only overlap is with forum and block.  I cannot recall any major forum differences.  If you use Boost with 3.4, blocks (side blocks) are no longer collapsible.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First, define 'FBS"! ;)

Clone your prodution 2.9.x to a dev server ... same OS, same PHP, same MySQL, etc. and probably same server specs - memory, HD, etc.

https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Moodle_migration

The dev server will have to have a different fully qualified domain name so after xferring the code, DB, and moodledata to dev server, run search and replace for database replacement of production site URL to dev site URL.   config.php file in moodle code will have had to be changed for wwwroot (url to dev server).

On the dev server, login as admin, go to Server Environment ... update the component.

Set the new pick list to a version higher than your 2.9.x ... to see if one needs to upgrade PHP or MySQL or add a PHP extension, etc.   Do that for *every version* in the pick list.

Practice your upgrades on dev.

What's your server flavor right now?   Linux? (what distro)

'spirit of sharing', Ken