Upgrade from Moodle 2.9.2 (Build: 20150914)

Re: Upgrade from Moodle 2.9.2 (Build: 20150914)

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

One more about local copy of site ...

Do know the distro of the hosted platform?   Ubuntu/CentOS and version?

If so, on your PC, run VirtualBox ... setup a guest OS Ubuntu/CentOS that is as close as you can get to the hosted.

Clone your production site ... the 2.9.x ... to the VB Guest OS ... now you can practice updates and upgrades.

Your local then would be the same environment (or very close) - minus tools like cPanel (that's $) but one could run Webmin (free/open sourced 'cpanel')

You would be in total control then ... so when provider/hoster says we can't do that ... ?????

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Upgrade from Moodle 2.9.2 (Build: 20150914)

by Philip Jones -

Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to describe using VirtualBox to duplicate the hosted platform distro. I will look into doing so to allow more flexibility in future updates and upgrades.

In the end I found upgrading from 2.9 to 3.4 too daunting. Given my level of misunderstanding. I kept skidding onto thin ice where I needed to learn many basics -- SQL table structure differences is an example. Well, I think maybe it is -- before I could make progress.  Instead of upgrading I used brute force and recreated the site in moodle 3.4.  

While there are still 3.4 icy spots (like bullets that don't look right  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=366309) I finally do have some traction on this project to resurrect a neglected moodle installation.

So, thanks again.