I have no buttons in my editor

I have no buttons in my editor

by Walter Byrd -
Number of replies: 8

I am using Moodle 3.4.

I have no way to add a file to the page I created.

The text boxes do not have any buttons.

There is a drop-down menu for selecting type of editor. But no matter which editor I chose, I have no buttons.

I may have chosen Markdown as my default editor. If so, I see no way to change it back.

I have Markdown, Atto HTML, and Text editor, enabled. I have Atto HTML at the top of the list.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Walter Byrd

Re: I have no buttons in my editor

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I cheat, Atto does not have the range of colours I usually use so set the default editor to TinyMCE. I have no idea how long this will last, but a while yet, I hope. 

Go to Site Admin > Plugins > Text Editors > Manage Editors and select TinyMCE and place that at the top using the up/down arrows. If you still have no buttons, then indeed, you have a problem. 

Best bet, replace the code to fix it. This can be an annoyance, and looking for a fix is not really worth the time, just replace the codebase. You have to judge how much time you want to spend  on this, but if it is anything more than 30 minutes, you are well into diminishing returns. You can do an upgrade at this point, or you can use the same download, if you still have it, to replace your code. Make sure you have a backup of your database and moodledata folder. Good luck.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Colin,

If it is Font Colors, you find lacking in Atto, there is a More Font Colors plugin that adds another tool to the tool bar. When you go to it's settings page, you can add any other colors you want.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Colin Fraser -

Thanks Al, but unfortunately, our host is contracted to my employer and the bureaucracy surrounding the inclusion of anything that remotely resembles something helpful is subject to a paper war of blizzard proportions. I asked three or four years ago for the progress bar to be included, but got the response "You want what?" Still waiting.    

In reply to Colin Fraser

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

So sorry to hear that. Since retirement from active teaching, I have truly enjoyed being able to add, or try out, any Moodle plugin or computer operating system, at any time I want to, without having to worry about people like that.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Walter Byrd -

Thank you response.

Putting TinyMCE on the top did nothing.

No other way to change the  default editor?

Seems that I am getting buttons on some pages, but not others.

See the two attachments below.

Is this a bug?

Attachment p1.png
Attachment p2.png
In reply to Walter Byrd

by Colin Fraser -

mmm not a bug as such, I would think, but rather a configuration issue. Where and how, I have no idea but it is likely to be that someone has done something in code, or reset something or edited part of the editors management page, could have been anything....

Time is an issue when trying to isolate this kind of issue. How much time are you prepared to spend hunting down the problem then resolving it? 

There is two alternatives here. One is you extract from the same version download the entire editors folder. You then go into the codebase, delete the entire editors folder and all the editors and using the extracted editors folder paste that itom the Moodle root. 

This is not a Moodle recommended method, btw, but it is one I have had success with when admining smaller, private, Moodles. If there is a problem in a single module, replacing that module seems to have a positive impact. Won't say it will in this case, but this is quicker and less messy than the alternative.  

The other alternative is to replace the entire codebase. You can update your site or you can use the same version you now run. Keep the current config.php, delete all other code and replace it with new code, overwrite the new config.php with the older one. Make sure you have complete backups of both the database and the moodledata folder. 

One of these may be quicker than fixing an issue that you may not get to the base of. If the first doesn't work, then the second becomes the obvious response. 

In reply to Walter Byrd

by AL Rachels -

Hi Walter,

Which editor do you have set in your personal  Preferences? At the top right click on Your Name > Preferences > Editor preferences, click the up/down arrows and select which editor you want.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Colin Fraser -

MMmmm you're right Al, looks like the TextEditor has been selected. 

"Go to Site Admin > Plugins > Text Editors > Manage Editors" and select TinyMCE and place that at the top using the up/down arrows. If you still have no buttons, then indeed, you have a problem." 

Give a clue and if ignored, don't expect a better result.