Entering Grades in version 1.5 now more complicated and time consuming

Entering Grades in version 1.5 now more complicated and time consuming

by June Riley -
Number of replies: 9
The University that I teach at uses Moodle. As a website, I like it a lot.  As a way to enter grades I'm developing an intense dislike of it.  I have over 100 students in each class. I have been using the Assignment module for posting marks. The University has just upgraded to Moodle v.1.5.

Before, it was possible to scroll down the page and enter marks for students - the little boxes for assigning the marks were already open, and although it was time consuming because you had to scroll past a too-large box for entering comments (which I don't use), it was far simpler than the arduous process I have to go through now.

Now, I have to scroll down a page, and for each and every one of HUNDREDS of STUDENTS scroll across to the very last column on the screen, read accurately across the screen (and it's tiring to do this so that you don't accidentally jump to the wrong student), then click on the two little dashes under "Grade", then locate the topic box for entering the mark (because the mouse doesn't automatically go to that point by default), then get out of that box, to get to the next student, where I have to start all over again. This is now far more time consuming (and much more tiring) than it was previously.

Is there not a simple way to have an option to just quickly and efficiently enter grades for students without going through all this?

I haven't had time to check but I hope you also have overcome the silly problem of not being able to enter marks that are fractions (like "10.5").  I had to overcome this in the previous version by actually making up my own scale - requiring that I scroll through a range of numbers from 0 to 50 by .25 to enter marks - which again is more time consuming and more tiring than it needs to be.

Don't get me wrong, I love Moodle as a website interface with my students.  But the software for entering grades has really serious problems.  Am I missing something?  Surely there's an easier way!

In reply to June Riley

Re: Entering Grades in version 1.5 now more complicated and time consuming

by Bob Puffer -
I believe you've stated grading frustrations shared by many quite eloquently.  Luther College resolved a few of these frustrations by developing a spreadsheet interface to the gradebook.  Its been modified various times and I don't know it's current level of stability.  The original version is at http://linuxbox.com.  Our version uses java script which, I've heard is a bit slow when there are a lot of grades involved but you're certainly welcome to try that version or seek out the modifications under a forum search subject = "Easy Manual Grade Entering".  We have not resolved the decimal grades as yet but are hoping for solutions soon.  Best of fortune to you in your efforts.
In reply to June Riley

by Michael Penney -
Just a note on this: this is an Assignment interface issue, the current gradebook just displays the grades entered into the modules. Martin did some work to fix this issue in 1.5.3, the assignment grade entering interface is much more user friendly.

Also, see Jeff Graham's recent post in this forum, our (HSU CDC's) new version of the gradebook allows direct assignment (and quiz and lesson grade editing). You can enter decimels, but IIRC you need to alter the assignment grades table to accept them (we use a modified assignment module that allows decimel and >100 grades). Jeff wrote a good bit of the 1.5 gradebook & he's been careful to add these features in accordance with the Moodle API & coding guidelines. These features were greatly inspired by Luther College's and SchoolEngine's work on the gradebook.

We should have updates that will allow other activity modules to be edited as well, coming in the next few weeks.
Attachment gradebook.gif
In reply to Michael Penney

by Thomas Haynes -
Michael...

I installed the new gradebook to see how it worked, but will probably wait to make it the default for the faculty until the end of the grading period and grades are submitted (two weeks).

How did you enable decimal grades? Did you install this gradebook and then change the grade field in mdl_assignment_submissions from 'int' to 'decimal?'

Regards...   Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Michael Penney -

Hi Tom, we have a custom assignment that we're presently using (actually a version of the old (pre 1.5) assignment that has decimels and >100 grades) and in that we changed grade to decimal(11,2) in column assingment_submissions and in assignment.

1.5 assignment might be simpler, we'll tackle that for the summer upgradesmile.

I did find a bug in the gradebookplus code just with editing lesson grades, grades get multiplied by 0.1 when entered, we should have that cleared up by Teusday.

by bill hamilton -

I just started using Moodle a couple months ago, and am, unfortunately, also the administrator.  I have no clue about all the server-side stuff, so I'm learning as I go, and my unfortunate colleagues are at my mercy!

That said, I have not been very successful in figuring out the gradebook so far, but it the picture above, from Humboldt, is a new module, I like the looks of it.  Is there someone out there who can tell me, in layman's terms, how to install it to my instance of Moodle?

If it helps, my problem has been that I can't figure how to create a space to put a grade without entering it in the assignments area-in other words, I think it's the same problem as not being able to enter off-line grades.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

bill hamilton

by bill hamilton -

Michael,

This Humboldt State gradebook looks pretty good.  Can you enter grades by clicking down the line under each heading?  The way it works in the regular moodle is awful (at least the only way I've found to do it is). 

Would you be kind enough to tell me how to install this gradebook  - and how to uninstall it if it's not what I expect?  I'm new to php, and I'm scared I'll trash something.  Our school is between WebCT and whatever we get next, so I paid for a host server for my department, and am having to administer our site myself.  Big responsibility for an illiterate like myself, even though only a couple of us are using it so far. 

If you can help, I would sure appreciate it!

Thanks,

bill hamilton 

In reply to bill hamilton

by Michael Penney -

Hi Bill, backup your moodle/grade directory, and replace it with the one form the zip. Put the en/grades.php file in your lang/en directory.

This just provides an interface to the grade data from the modules, it doesn't change your database (though it is always a good idea to backup your db first). You can back out of it just by replace the new grade directory with the old one, the language file won't hurt anything if you leave it in there.

It lets you grade assignment points directly (but not comments) and edit quiz grades the gradebook directly, other modules to come as we get time.

Being between WebCT and something else is a great time to implement Moodle, despite the unfortunate design of the 1.5 assignment grading interface, it is the best choice for an LMS in the present environment, IMO. Here is some ammunition if you need to make the case (scroll down for a list of comments from various institions that have made the switch from WebCT and/or BB):

http://cdc.humboldt.edu/lms/whatis.html

by bill hamilton -

Michael,

Thanks for your quick response!  I'll try to do install this evening.  I agree with you about Moodle being a good choice.  It has been easy to learn, and seems to be powerful and very flexible. 

You may be able to answer this for me, too: can I set up an email that works only within Moodle, such as WebCT and BB have?  IN other words, we can use it to communicate, but only within Moodle?  Or is there some module already in Moodle that I haven't yet discovered, that will allow for email, either within or without, or both?

Again, thank you for your help. 

Bill Hamilton

In reply to bill hamilton

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Hi Bill,

We have been tryin' InternalMail available from http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/course/view.php?id=18

This module gives more options and features than those found in WebCT. As it allows you as a teacher to check if your students have received and read your message. You can also limit the file size for attachments, and if you want, teachers can receive a copy of emails sent by students.

Cheers!
Eduardo