Dropping the lowest (highest weight)

Dropping the lowest (highest weight)

by Jason Touw -
Number of replies: 0

I am running Moodle 3.4.  Our school also uses a separate grading software called eSchool Data that some teachers use.  

I drop the lowest quiz grade.  I also keep a gradebook on points-based system.  I am running into this issue.  For example, let's imagine a student has the following quiz grades:

Grade Item                      Points       Percent

Quiz 1                               10/15        66.6%

Quiz 2                                 6/10         60.0%

In Moodle, the only way (at least that I know of) to drop the lowest quiz grade is to use "Simple Weighted Mean of Grades."  When I do this, Moodle Drops Quiz 2 with a 60% because it is the lowest percent.

In our other software (eSchoolData), dropping the lowest grade drops Quiz 1 because it is the lowest points, or most points lost (Quiz 1 loses 5 points, Quiz 2 loses 4 points).  The student makes out better this way when adding up points earned and dividing by points possible.

Is there a way, or what is the correct setting, so that Moodle drops the grade that loses the most possible earned points?  This is frustrating because when I export the CSV to our online credit system, the dropped grades in moodle do not match the dropped grades in eSchoolData's online credit system.

If there is a setting in gradebook that allows this, please share.  If this needs to be added as a suggestion, please let me know and I will send it over for a later release.  Thank you!