Generell diskusjon/Sosialt forum

Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'

Picture of Alf Martin Johnsen
Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'
Translators

Hi,

so close: The correct collation is utf8_danish_ci or utf8mb4_danish_ci

Utf8mb4...  is demanded on newer Moodle versions.

Picture of Mohammad kabir
Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'

Hi Alf,

Version : Moodle 3.2.1

Thanks for your answer. Still sort does not work. I tested in localhost, not in linux server yet. Don't think it will work in linux server as well.  Please see the attachment.

Even though sort is not working, I should change the collation to  utf8mb4_danish_ci, right? 

Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'

Another attachment with glossary sorting.

Svar: Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'
Translators

It is not enough to change collation on the dB alone, you have to run a script that change collation in all tables and all fields.  THis is a script you can run from the command line and follow the instructions here:

https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/MySQL_full_unicode_support

Just replace the Unicode with danish.

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'

Hi Alf,

After follow instruction,  its working fine in localhost now. Tusen takk.

Question: If I change it on production ( little afraid as it's big ), is there any possibility to loose any information or generate any kind of problem? Do I need to test a lot ?

Once again thanks a lot smile

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'
Translators

First of all: Always run a full SQL dump so you can roll back if something went wrong. NEVER do db operations like this without a backup. Think that you are a line dancer trying to cross Niagara. wink

Next: Be careful and close the site before you begin. The conversion job takes very long time and blocks the site totally when running. On very big sites you must calculate 1-2 hours, depending on amount of users, courses etc. and the db-server performance.