Generell diskusjon/Sosialt forum

Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'

Picture of Mohammad kabir
Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'

Glossary sorting mixed up with Norwegian char  'A' and 'Å'. Other Norwegian char (Ø,Æ) working well.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-21364

From above link, I found its Database issue.

What is the best MySql collation for  Norsk language ?

I tried with mysql collation  : utf8_unicode_ci, utf8_general_ci, latin1_swedish_ci. Nothing helps for sorting A and Å. Welcome if anybody has good idea.

Thank you.

Picture of Alf Martin Johnsen
Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'
Translators

Hi,

so close: The correct collation is utf8_danish_ci or utf8mb4_danish_ci

Utf8mb4...  is demanded on newer Moodle versions.

Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'

Hi Alf,

Version : Moodle 3.2.1

Thanks for your answer. Still sort does not work. I tested in localhost, not in linux server yet. Don't think it will work in linux server as well.  Please see the attachment.

Even though sort is not working, I should change the collation to  utf8mb4_danish_ci, right? 

Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'

Another attachment with glossary sorting.

Svar: Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'
Translators

It is not enough to change collation on the dB alone, you have to run a script that change collation in all tables and all fields.  THis is a script you can run from the command line and follow the instructions here:

https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/MySQL_full_unicode_support

Just replace the Unicode with danish.

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'

Hi Alf,

After follow instruction,  its working fine in localhost now. Tusen takk.

Question: If I change it on production ( little afraid as it's big ), is there any possibility to loose any information or generate any kind of problem? Do I need to test a lot ?

Once again thanks a lot smile

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Sorting mixed up with Norwegian char 'Å' and 'A'
Translators

First of all: Always run a full SQL dump so you can roll back if something went wrong. NEVER do db operations like this without a backup. Think that you are a line dancer trying to cross Niagara. wink

Next: Be careful and close the site before you begin. The conversion job takes very long time and blocks the site totally when running. On very big sites you must calculate 1-2 hours, depending on amount of users, courses etc. and the db-server performance.