Changing the "Is this your first time here?" message

Changing the "Is this your first time here?" message

by Robert Wise -
Number of replies: 9

I'd like to change the message:

Hi! For full access to courses you'll need to take a minute to create a new account for yourself on this web site. Each of the individual courses may also have a one-time "enrollment key", which you won't need until later. Here are the steps:

Is this possible? I can't find the file with the message.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Wise

Re: Changing the "Is this your first time here?" message

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Yes you can!

Edit the default language you are using (I suppose you use en or en_us)

The message is in lang\eng\moodle.php. The string you need to search for and edit is "loginsteps"

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to koen roggemans

by Brian Donohue-Lynch -

Ah! Thanks for the question and answer above!  This has unlocked a little bit more of my understanding of the structure of Moodle's setup.  I was looking for a similar thing (to change the words "Available Courses") and now I get a more general answer for "how to" on a lot of related things.  Thanks so much!    What a "learning community" here!

Brian

In reply to Brian Donohue-Lynch

by Robert Wise -
For me too!! This more than answered my question! Thanks so much!

by Robert Wise -

That worked well, thank you. Unfortunately some other labels (strings) were changed that I didn't edit. For example, my "search courses" button now says "searchcourses and my administration window now has a configuration... and a sitefiles.

Do you know where I can change those back to what they were? I can't find it. Thanks again for your help. Even if I can't fix this, it's better than the default was for my uses.

In reply to Robert Wise

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Did you use the build-in language editor or a text-editor to change your file ? Best practice is to use the build-in, but that is not always easy if your Moodle-installation runs on a server that's not your own. Can you attach your edited Moodle.php (if it is not too big) or mail it to me so I can take a look at it ? (not for today  anymore slaperig )

by Robert Wise -

Thank you for your offer. Obstinance having gotten the better of me, I just deleted the en_us files and reinstalled them. When I edited the moodle.php again, I was very careful. The problem still persisted. Then, I copied the moodle.php into the en folder and - voila! it was fixed.

Thanks to all for your help. What a great community. I hope to become proficient enough to be of assistance in my turn some day.  *tips hat*

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just a modification to this, it is much better NOT to edit the "en" pack itself.  Rather, make a copy of it (say, "en_my") and edit that just like it was a new translation. 

The reason for this is so you can smoothly upgrade later without the new versions of those files overwriting your work.  Also, the English pack MUST be completely up to date to avoid those missing strings appearing in the code.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Brian Donohue-Lynch -

Interesting idea... to create a "new" language as a customized version of an existing one.  I had actually thought of this earlier today... but decided not to do it (I just modified key terms in the en lang.) My reasoning is that even if I create a modified version of en and rename it, when I update the language files as necessary, I'll still have to go through the modified_en file as well, to make sure it is updated. (or is this not the case?)

Brian

In reply to Brian Donohue-Lynch

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No, you won't have to update your local language...

Moodle looks for strings or help files in the current language first (eg your custom language), then the "parentlanguage" of the current language (a string in your custom moodle.php defines this), then the "en" pack as a last resort.

If it can't find a string in any of those then it just prints the stringname in brackets.

To make sure your users are using this language, restrict their choices by setting a langlist up in Configuration -> Variables ... usually it should be a single value - the name of your custom pack.