QA bug

Re: QA bug

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

Please check that the capability to always see Q and A posts (mod/forum:viewqandawithoutposting) is not allowed for the role of student.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Eric Lin -

I checked the student permissions and set to prohibit as the attached, and in my tests using student accounts, students can still see the posts of other students before they post. The q&a should default to preventing this, right? Should it even be necessary to make a setting change?

Thanks for any help with this! I really like the idea of Q&A forums, but I can't seem to get this feature to work as stated.

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 10.52.30 PM.png
In reply to Eric Lin

by Eric Lin -

I have also tested this with "not set", so the defaults (I think) should be such that the q&A forums work as stated - students cannot see replies until they post,right?

Attachment Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 11.10.16 PM.png
In reply to Eric Lin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you also check the students do not have the capability to add new questions (link) in the Q and A forum? If they do, and they can add new questions, those questions will be visible to others. Only the teacher should add questions.

Could you double check in our school demo site school.demo.moodle.net? Log in to any course with username teacher and password moodle and then when you have set up a Q and A forum with teacher question, reply with username student and password moodle. Then log in with username brianfrankli228 and password moodle (other accounts are available) and check you do not see the original student's reply.

I just did this and it worked as expected, so it might be helpful for you to triple check your settings.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Eric Lin -

Thank you Mary! Did you have to change those settings in the orange case, or did it work with the default settings? 

In reply to Eric Lin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I didn't change anything - it worked with the default settings.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Eric Lin -

Mary, thanks so much for your help. I have successfully managed to get the features to work on my moodle now. The only thing I did was to change from explicit prohibititions on the student profile for postquestions and viewqanda to "not set". The defaults work. I'm not sure I understand why, but it did work. thanks for confirming for me that the 3.4 version using just defaults produced an outcome that worked. I still have a lot to learn, I see.