how to format dates in log reports

how to format dates in log reports

by Mark Fischer -
Number of replies: 2

How can I get moodle to change the formatting of the date in the log download?  Our language is set to en_us and when I download a log file it formats the date as d/mm/yy, hh:mm.  This makes it impossible to read in Excel and I know of no USA date format that follows this notation.  I need it to be something that excel can understand so I don't have to reformat it every time. 

Version: Moodle 3.3.4 (Build: 20180115)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Fischer

Re: how to format dates in log reports

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I could be cheeky and say that you really could change your date format in Excel to read dates the same as the rest of the world, but.... clown  (Is this something else that Webster needs to provide an explanation and apology for?) 

When you say your language is set to "en_us" is that the language in Moodle or is it set to "en". This can be why your dates are not set for US style of mm/dd/yy. My understanding is that it can be changed through the installed language pack. You can do that using the Language Customisation module. Make the preferred pack,"en_us".  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: how to format dates in log reports

by Mark Fischer -

I agree that date formats in the United States make no sense.  I would much prefer yyyy/mm/dd or even dd/mm/yy over mm/dd/yy but that is "above my pay grade" so I work with what I have.

In Site administration -> Language -> Language settings the language is set to "English - United States (en_us)".  I have searched though the Language customization and have not found a place to change the format of dates.  From what I can tell, this only allows me to change the terminology.  Please let me know how this can be changed though the installed language pack as I am either blind and can't find it or its not there.

In excel the only way that I can get these dates converted to something that it understands is to split the column on the ", " and then concatenate the columns together again without the ",".  I have tried a custom date format but the comma gets in the say for some reason.  Maybe this is because I am not doing it right, or I have the US English version of Excel and Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, thinks that I don't know what I am doing so they won't do what I ask for, or maybe Excel just can't do it.

Not to complain about open-source software, but I would think that if I choose the English - United States language package that dates would be presented in the format standard to the language that is selected.