Teaching with Moodle

Learn Moodle 3.4 Basics: feedback and actions

Mary Cooch
Learn Moodle 3.4 Basics: feedback and actions
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
Monday 4 February was the last official day of our latest HQ MOOC, Learn Moodle 3.4 Basics. From today the course is in read-only mode and we’re busy preparing for the next run, Learn Moodle 3.5 Basics. Below is short overview of how the MOOC went and what we are planning for next time:
Some facts and figures:

We're pleased to have Moodle HQ Research Analyst Elizabeth Dalton join the facilitation team. Elizabeth’s extensive knowledge of and passion for learning analytics is going to provide us with some really useful information about the MOOC and how to improve it for future participants. In the meantime, here are some general statistics:

• 6230 participants signed up for the course and 4652 logged in on or after the start of the course on 8 January 2018
  • 2166 obtained a participant badge for posting and replying in a forum - 47% of those who logged in to the course.
  • 1046 participants went on to complete all 35 activities and obtain a certificate of completion and badge - 22 % of those who logged in to the course - more than ever before!
  • In the week 1 choice activity, 80% of participants said that they were new to Moodle or had used it only a little for sharing files.
  • In the week 4 final feedback, 92% of participants rated the course as ‘outstanding’ or ‘good’, and 88% said that the tasks in the course were just the right level for them.

What we did well:

Choose how to progess through the course

The most significant change in the Learn Moodle 3.4 Basics MOOC was the option of choosing your stream: “Step by step” for new and less confident Moodlers, and “All at once” for more experienced and more confident Moodlers. Nearly twice as many participants opted for the “All at once” path, which displayed the weeks immediately, rather than the “Step by Step” path which opened up the activities one week at a time. 85% of participants told us they felt this was a good idea (14% had no strong feelings.)

Moodle Mobile

The MOOC also provides us with useful feedback about the increasing functionality of the mobile app. While previous runs of the MOOC have seen 26 - 28% of participants access the course from the app, the figure this time was 32% with participants recognising the value of the app where the internet is not easily accessible: 

I think it makes THE difference in learning management platforms. Especially in areas / countries where data costs are high as it can be downloaded in free wifi spots and learning can continue where no data is available. Keep it up. 

How we're going to improve:

Further training

You may have noticed that the MOOC itself now includes the word “Basics” in its title. That’s because our free MOOC is just the start of your Moodle learning journey. Participants have for several years been requesting further training beyond the MOOC, and in addition to the many online and face-to-face services offered by Moodle partners, the Education team at Moodle HQ are preparing a whole curriculum of courses to be taken, via your local Moodle Partner, to extend your understanding of how to teach with Moodle. Our 3.5 course will clearly set out all options available. It will be great to think that participants will take our free MOOC and move straight on to the Learn Moodle modules suitable for their needs.

Workshop (it's not just about you)

Confusion still exists around the phases and two deadlines of the My home country workshop. We added a page 'How to do the workshop activity', which has helped somewhat but perhaps we need a short explanatory video as well.

Clarify, clarify, clarify

Before you can start the course, you must choose your learning path and tell us whether or not we may use your data. Some participants contacted us because they could not see the course activities because the sentence 'Complete the two tasks below to display the course activities'.  was not clear enough. We’ll work on making that more obvious - and then removing it once you’ve started the course.

Participant feedback:

The dual experience of being a student and a teacher was appreciated by new Moodlers….

The Moodle 3.4 Basics course was really two courses in one. Having had no previous online learning experience, I experienced what it was like to be a learner using an online learning platform. At the same time, I was actually learning how to use Moodle as a teacher. Both benefits were very useful. I found the level of the course to be perfect, not too hard nor too easy.

… while experienced Moodlers also found the course beneficial: 

I found that the Learn Moodle 3.4 Basics filled in many of the gaps I had even after 3 years of using Moodle.

Join us on June 18 for our Learn Moodle 3.5 Basics MOOC. Why not follow us on social media to be alerted when sign up is enabled? We hope to see you then!

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: Learn Moodle 3.4 Basics: feedback and actions
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I joined as one of the 'experienced' users thinking I could help out a little - and found myself (yet again) learning so much, from the course and its design, the wonderful team of leaders/tutors and from the community of participants.

Thank you for such a great opportunity Mary, Helen and everyone else involved!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Kim
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Always a great course! Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ashwini Borole

Hi,

How can i access read-only course Learn Moodle 3.4 Basics ?

Regards,

Ashwini.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello. The course is no longer available as you can now sign up for our 3.5 course starting June 28. There are also all the videos from the 3.4 course available on our Moodle HQ YouTube channel and in docs.Moodle.org.