Site Administrator link in Moodle is not working

Site Administrator link in Moodle is not working

by Chris Charitos -
Number of replies: 14

After my first install of Moodle (the latest version as we speak in January of 2018) the moodle installed but from Mozzila Firefox

when I click to the Site Adminstrator link a blank page is created. In Google Chrome it says a message HTTP ERROR 500.

I sent an earlier post one month ago but I hade unforunately dint have the time or lost your answer.

Would you be kind enough to answer me again. What to do? I am a teacher of Informatic in high school who I am using for the

first time moodle but I am so diassapointed with this message that I am inclined to give it up. Would it be wise to start over the installation

from the beginning? and if so could you give me a link that guides me through this?

Iphost.net (greece host provider)

PHP: 5.6.30

Databbase 10.1.24-MariaDB-cll-lve - MariaDB Server

When I click the notifications tab under Administrator bloc in the right it shws me the message in attachment.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Attachment errormessage.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Charitos

Re: Site Administrator link in Moodle is not working

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Chris,

Here is a link to your previous post: Site administration link links to a blank page!

Rather than trying to install and host Moodle yourself, you may like to sign up for a free MoodleCloud site, which is hosted by Moodle and gets upgraded regularly after each release. Please see https://moodlecloud.com/ for details.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Charitos -
Hello and thanks for the answer. I would love to sign up for a Moosle Cloud

site but I have already paid for a six month service at iphost.net

by Chris Charitos -

I have enabled debugging and the following error is displayed when i click the site Administrator link How to continue please?

Warning: require_once(/home/chchari/public_html/moodle/lib/antivirus/clamav/classes/scanner.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/chchari/public_html/moodle/lib/antivirus/clamav/settings.php on line 29

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/chchari/public_html/moodle/lib/antivirus/clamav/classes/scanner.php' (include_path='/home/chchari/public_html/moodle/lib/pear:.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/share/pear') in /home/chchari/public_html/moodle/lib/antivirus/clamav/settings.php on line 29

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

By chance did you originally attempt to setup clam antivirus on server to scan files uploaded?

The error seems to indicate the clamav scanner cannot be found on your system, so try this:

Since you have access to editing the config.php file, add this line:

$CFG->antiviruses='';

No reason to restart anything, just hit the site with browser, login, then try any of the Admin links.

If that doesn't work, might have to use phpmyadmin or some other DB editor and edit the mdl_config_plugins table and re-set values for antivirus_clamav entires.

Remove the pathtoclam and the pathtounixsocket values ...

Fingers crossed for ya ... so you can get something out of that 6 mo. contract.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Chris Charitos -

Thanks for the reply!

Unforutantely with the editing of the config.php  the same error produced

and as concerns mdl_config_plugins table I cant find clamv entries

Attachment ErrorMessage.png

by Ken Task -

Screen shot of mdl_config_plugins table only shows the first X rows.   Settings for clamav are in *later* rows/pages.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Chris Charitos -

And I didnt attempt to setup any software except Moodle!

by Ken Task -

Guess ... don't host where you do ... don't use cpanel, etc.  but .... just noticed ...

you've said you had php 5.6.x, but the 'fatal' line shows it might be looking in an 'ea-php71/' directory for something.

Might double check with hosting provider about how to tell your apps/sites to use php 5.6.x.

Also ... which Moodle version are you attempting to install?   Does your hosting provider have an installer for Moodle?

If the latter ... host installs Moodle with one button click, etc. ... what version is that Moodle?

You could create a phpinfo file ...

See:

https://mediatemple.net/community/products/dv/204643880/how-can-i-create-a-phpinfo.php-page

name file file 'phpinfo.php' and put it into the same directory where the current moodle code resides - where you found config.php.

Then hit the site ... http(s)://yoursite/phpinfo.php

To see what version of PHP your site is set to use.

BTW, the phpinfo information is in Moodle code ... but happens to be in the admin directory of code.

Guess you could try that also ... direct link with browser: http(s)://yoursite/admin/phpinfo.php

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Chris Charitos -
Yes it has a program called Softaculus that can install Moodle 3.41 version

15 01 2018  with one click

Please tell me how to unistall the curent Moodle I am in. I dont have any

useful data.

by Ken Task -

You're probably not going  to like this ... considering your frustration level already ... but ...

So hosting provider has a script for you to install Moodle.   But Moodle doesn't work.  Seems to me their installer is broken.   Since you've got a 6 mo. contract, get your $'s worth.

They offer shared, virtual, and dedicated hosting.   Which is yours?

I see they have links to Joomla and WordPress hosting.   Where is their link to Moodle hosting?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Chris Charitos -

I did a fresh install of the stable new Moodle edition and when I tried to login it displayed the error message again with the clamav antivirus!

Ho w to disable it! Please help!

Unforunately I cant find any entry for antivirus in the mdl_config_plugins table! What can be wrong?

'

If that doesn't work, might have to use phpmyadmin or some other DB editor and edit the mdl_config_plugins table and re-set values for antivirus_clamav entires.

Remove the pathtoclam and the pathtounixsocket values ...'

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Are you installing from the installer still?  Get rid of that and install manually.  

by Ken Task -

When you say you have a new install, was that still through the script provided by hosting?

OR did you manually install?   Downloaded moodle code ... uploaded it ... blah, blah, blah ... like this link:

https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Installing_Moodle#Download_and_copy_files_into_place

above link is for 3.4 of Moodle ... if you change the 34 to 31 or 32 or 33 you will see pretty much the same directions.

Been using Moodle for years, many installs and upgrades ... NOT once have I experienced what you are.

What does hosting provider help desk say?

Who is hosting provider?   Many have their own customer forums and FAQ docs on how to do things like manually installing Moodle.

By providing the company name/URL, If nothing else, you'd be helping others stay away from a provider that is of no help wih Moodle.   They might be good a WordPress ... but who isn't?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Chris Charitos -

Thanks for the immediate response. I have installed it manually.

I also have installed all the previous editions of moodle the only one that installed without problems was 3.1.

But then when I tried to add a new Moodle lesson it displayed a message (I dont remember exactly something like

instance of this or something like that and when I googled it some guy said the solution was to upgrade moodle because

php edition was 7.1 and could not cooperate with moodle 3.1.

Anyway, I contacted the iphost.net hosting provider and they said thai is not their problem since the error message has to

do with the antivirus of moodle and not the antivirus of their provider.