General developer forum

Plagiarism API does not return Turnitin scores in forum search results

Ray at his desk
Plagiarism API does not return Turnitin scores in forum search results

Hello Moodlers,

Running Moodle 3.3.3+ (Build: 20171123). We use the Turnitin Plagiarism plugin (v. 2017112302) and Turnitin Assignment 2 (v. 2017112301).

I hope this is the appropriate forum for this issue. I also tried searching the Moodle Tracker, but this is a nuanced issue and I was not having luck finding anything similar.

Long story short, we use the Turnitin Plagiarism Plugin (TII PP) to process forum posts and assignment submissions. When you perform a search in the forums, the TII Similarity Score does not appear with the corresponding post. I posted this issue on the TII PP Github page, and Dan Marsden advised that this sounded like a problem with the Moodle Plagiarism API, not something specific to the TII PP.

Below is a screenshot of what I mean. The same forum post is shown in two separate windows. On the left, is the forum post as it appears in search results. On the right, is the same post as it appears in the actual forum. Notice that the post in the search results does not have the TII Similarity Score or Originality Report.

One of the ways that our instructors assess student discussions, is to search for the student's name (Advanced search > Author) with the Forum search function, so obviously missing this piece of information is inconvenient.

I have never posted to the Moodle Tracker before, and I do not want to disrespect the process and workflow. That said, if folks think this is a legitimate issue, I would be happy to create an issue there. Please let me know if I can help describe this in any more detail!

- Ray

screenshot of Moodle forum posts, with search results on left and forum module on the right

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dan Marsden
Re: Plagiarism API does not return Turnitin scores in forum search results
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

I think it probably makes sense to add a hook in the display for forum search to display the plagiarism stuff. It may sit in the tracker for a while until a developer with a vested interest in this has time to propose a patch.

Go ahead and create the tracker issue - and then post here with the link so people can vote/comment on it.

If you want to get this implemented faster you might consider contracting your local Moodle Partner to develop a patch for you and add it to the tracker issue.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Ray at his desk
Re: Plagiarism API does not return Turnitin scores in forum search results

Hello Dan, we meet again!

Thank you for your continued input. I created a tracker issue called "MDL-61345: Plagiarism API does not return Turnitin scores or reports in forum search results", linked below.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-61345

If we do decide to create any solutions on our own, I'll update accordingly. Otherwise, if anyone else reads this and wants to support the issue, please vote on the Tracker. Thanks!

- Ray

*edit: yikes, that link got messed up. should look nicer above.

Average of ratings: -