Annotatable PDF not created

Annotatable PDF not created

by Mark Glynn -
Number of replies: 3

We have students who have made submissions for an assignment and randomly for some of those students no document is visible to be annotated. I understand that this may be a problem with the converter and will be looking at addressing that going forward but is there any way to fix the immediate problem with these students i.e. getting "annotatable" versions of their submissions.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Glynn

Re: Annotatable PDF not created

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Mark, yes this is an issue I too have run in to, so I cheated. I got students to upload their PDFs normally, then I downloaded them, making sure that Feedback Files option in "Feedback Types" was checked to allow me to upload annotated files. I then used Acrobat to add comments and added a rubric page where it needed it. Not difficult, just fiddly and can be time consuming if you have a large number of them. Upload the annotated file on the grading page. Worked for me.  Occasionally, I would get lazy, well if using anything from the Dark Side could make you lazy, and used Word. Worked just as well, if they saved their file as a PDF.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mark Glynn -

Thanks Colin. I appreciate the reply. On this occasion that workaround wouldn't practically work for me because of the number of students involved. I'd much prefer to identify the cause (and solution) if possible. Thanks again

Kind regards

Mark

In reply to Mark Glynn

by Khari Kambon -

Mark, did you get his resolved?  We have the same problem on 3.3.3.  The crazy thing the PDF displays fine in some courses, but blank in other courses.  Taking the same PDF from one course where it displays and uploaded it to another course, displays as blank.  This thread seems to give some ideas, but none worked for me as it doesn't seem to be a server level issue. 

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=333814

maybe you'll find some ideas there.  I even have a course in which PDFs display fine for the first 6 assignments in the course and then every assignment afterwards they appear blank!