Exams not saved

Exams not saved

by Madelon Brouwer -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

Does anyone of you have experienced test answers not being saved in Moodle?
We use Moodle for testing the knowledge of our students, but once in a while exam answers do not get saved. Because students make the exam at another location from where our office is (from home or work), we can't really check how this happens from witnessing it ourselves. We have to ask students what they did afterwards and that information is not objective. All in all it is hard to be sure if it is a matter of a student pressing the wrong buttons, Moodle not working correctly or a setting we made having a wrong effect.
We do send students an instruction about how to save the test. 

I have tried to rule out all kinds of possibilities and tried closing the exam before the end of the time etc. But my answers do get saved. 
The only clue that seems to return when asking students if they experienced any problems, like losing the internet connection, is copying the questions. But I've also tried this out and with saved answers as the only result. 
When the teacher wants to check the results, he/she only gets to see red crosses with a stripe next to it, as if the student did not do anything.

In the mean time we still don't have an idea what is causing this problem and it is very sad to have to tell a student their efforts were for nothing. 
We've been experiencing this problem through the years and using different versions, but are now on Moodle 3.3+ (Build: 20170629).

Who knows what causes this loss of data and how to prevent it? 

Attachment 2018-01-30_12-32-58.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Madelon Brouwer

Re: Exams not saved

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know what would cause this. i have not seen it myself. You are doing the right thing by asking your students what happened, and trying to reproduce it.

The other thing to do is to check the server logs and Moodle logs from the time when the student says they were working on their quizzes.