Google Authentication

Google Authentication

by Bryan Smith -
Number of replies: 3

I have students in my Moodle instance from a variety of Google Tenants (domains). Is it possible to authenticate against multiple Google Domains, or am I limited to one.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bryan Smith

Re: Google Authentication

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I haven't tried this, but speak as a Google admin.

If you have all your sub-domains added to your google admin account, the way you're meant to, it would work in theory. e.g. we have hull-college.ac.uk in the admin login for our GSuite tenant, but we have added other domains that our users have for their email addresses (e.g. college2.ac.uk) on the account. So the GCDS tool can create accounts for them based on email address.
The GCDS tool required me to authenticate against my admin login, but the token lets it make changes to accounts across all our paired domains.

Let us know how you get on, if you try it out!

In reply to Bryan Smith

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have to ask if your Google 'domain' is Google For Education or not .. that might make a diff in this response ...

Have a sandbox server that has multiple versions of Moodle 3.1->3.4.   All have Oauth2 ... the old plugin + the built in.

IAM Api's setup for each server.  None are restricted to a 'domain' - Google For Education Domain or EMail address 'domain'.    As far as Moodle is concerned, think all it cares about is the setup of the IAM Api.  I have an account in a schools Google for Education domain and have been able to authenticate in any/all on that sandbox server with no issues.   Sandboxes are not restricting nor limiting the Email addies to specific EMail domains.

Have also a Google Compute Engine instance and no issues with that one either.

One way to know for sure ... try i! using a google EMail domain account where you know the credentials! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Bryan Smith

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

In the OAuth2 settings there is an option there to list multiple domains - I would think that this is what you are looking for - it is more for limiting to certain domains - that is what I am hoping to set up on one of my servers.