µ & μ Issue

µ & μ Issue

by A. Obeid -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

there is the 'Unicode Character 'MICRO SIGN' (U+00B5)' and the 'GREEK SMALL LETTER MU' (U+03BC)' both look the same from user side. In a numerical question (as Units) user can enter any of them. For some user is the answer correct for other not. I tried to give both Mu to the answers possibilities, i get 'Error writing to database'. Maybe because for DB both of are utf08 Mu

Any idea how to solve the Issue? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to A. Obeid

Re: µ & μ Issue

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Are you using MySQL or similar. That is a really stupid database when it comes to handling strings. For example, it thinks that 'a' is the same as 'A', so I would not be surprised if it gets confused by this too.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by A. Obeid -

Hi Tim,

yes we are using MySQL. Which DB would you recommend?

In reply to A. Obeid

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The only database we have ever used at the OU with Moodle is Postgres (for the last 12 years) and it just works reliably, and does not corrupt your data.

MySQL is a 'database' system that requires a command called 'repair tables' and it is pretty essential that you know how to use it. (https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/mysqlcheck.html). Actually, to be fair, it is less essential these days that it used to be. But still, if you are trusting importnat data to this system, it is a really abd sign.

(I am no expert on DB systems, but I have a strong opinion on this.)