best way to install Moodle

best way to install Moodle

by ibrahim ibrahim -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Sir,

I would like to ask  about best way to install Moodle due to i have computer server( local network) and more that 400 students  to do exam in same time what is best way to install Moodle please an what is the operating system will be fine ( Ubuntu or windows ) thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ibrahim ibrahim

Re: best way to install Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you have a free choice then I would suggest Ubuntu. Read, Installing_Moodle.

Note that 400 users doing a simultaneous quiz represents quite a high load. "How much hardware do I need?" questions are impossible to answer but it isn't a cheap VM. It will need to be a proper job. 

If you're unsure it may pay you in the end to speak to a Moodle Partner.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ibrahim ibrahim

Re: best way to install Moodle

by Stuart Mealor -

I would also totally recommend Linux (Ubuntu is a great choice due to it's support and documentation) over Windows.

Every clients we have that uses Windows has lots more problems than the ones using Linux.

I would also echo Howard's comments - 400 users logged in at the same time is a big number - and you will need to ensure you have plenty of RAM, and a well-configured Moodle Quiz.

Our experience with Windows has shown that MS SQL does not handle large loads as well as MySQL.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)